Skip to main content

was wondering if anyone had opinions on the quality of pre's in these two interfaces. i need a new interface and have my eye on either of these two but cant decide, any help would be appreciated :)

Topic Tags

Comments

AudioGaff Tue, 10/10/2006 - 20:21

The E-MU 1820M uses the Joe Meek preamp. A clean and decent budget mic pre for a built in audio interface. Nothing to brag about. The Onyx mic pre is likely better as a mic pre. The 1820M is great audio interface and the top notch converters make up for the Joe Meek mic pre which is more important to me than the Joe Meek mic pre is if you own any other decent outboard mic pre's. Keep in mind that the 1820M is now discontinued and they only have the 1616/1616M in PCI and PCMCIA versions.

Got the E-MU 1616M myself for laptop and remote chores, and love it. The newly designed mic pre is much better than the Joe Meek and the dock is smaller than the 1820M dock.

AudioGaff Thu, 10/12/2006 - 20:31

No flame suit needed. Just take some time and educate yourself. The E-MU stuff is as good or even beter than any of the same kind of products made by anybody else. I'm a known as an audio snob around here and it is sure good enough for me. And I know of many science professionals in several different professions, including military applications, that choose the E-MU stuff for their work. And these are people who can afford or choose anything made by anyone including very expensive and dedicated data aqusistion type of science gear, and they all prefer the E-MU stuff over anything else. It is by no means perfect, but one thing for sure. You'll have a hell of a time finding better quality or value for your money.