FAQs a made to a recording studio owner/producer during the negotiation
Hello experts. I want to know what bands/artists/producers ask to recording studio owners (or in-house producers) during negotiations to hire recording services. What do they ask you?
Just to lay some foreground to this post, I recently set up my project studio and would like to be ready for the questions that my prospects will ask. We're mainly focused on producing music, rather than commercials, or narrated material.
So, what do prospects generally ask for?
During negotiations, what should I watch out for?
Which subjects should be treated with most detail and transparency during the negotiation of a recording contract?
So far, this is what I've come up with:
1. Whats your price? Do you charge by the hour or production package?
2. How long does it take to record an album?
3. Do you have drums/instruments available for rental?
4. Can we get the raw recorded audio and the DAW sessions when we're done recording?
5. Do you provide CD replication and distribution?
6. Do you offer sponsorship?
7. Can we pay you with the sales of the records?
8. We can't afford this! What do we do?
9. Do we record all the band at once?
10. Can we listen to your portfolio?
Any insight on these or other FAQs will be highly appreciated!
I have been asked by newbies about how to prepare, to which I provide them with a list of do's and dont's
Two biggest questions "how much will this cost me?" or "can you do this for free since I am a starving musician?"