Skip to main content

hello everyone,
recently i've taken over a small project studio running a Digi 001. I'm recording bands but i really need more than 8 inputs( not including the S/PDIF). Does anyone know if i can hook up like the M-audio octane mic preamp's to the optical(digital) inputs on the 001 and use them simultaneously with the analog inputes for 16 channels? Ontop of that, can i use and m box and get 2 more channels? I've asked everywhere and cant seem to get an answer. also, if it were possible, in pro tools hardware setup how do i get pro tools to recognize both? any key command that might do it? Please, this is the minimum i need to get this studio up and going again, thanks!

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Mon, 01/24/2005 - 13:05

Does anyone know if i can hook up like the M-audio octane mic pre's to the optical(digital) inputs on the 001 and use them simultaneously with the analog inputes for 16 channels?

Yes, you can do that, no problem.

Ontop of that, can i use and m box and get 2 more channels??

No, you can't. Pro Tools can only see one interface at once, and the M Box does not work as a standalone unit. You can hook up any device that has a S/PDIF output to that input (you could probably even do it with the M Box if it were hooked up to another computer, but I think that would be more trouble than it was worth), but if you wanted to run 18 channels at once you'd need to be able to lock the clocks in the S/PDIF and optical devices together, which isn't possible with some of the cheaper boxes out there.

if it were possible, in pro tools hardware setup how do i get pro tools to recognize both?

They'll all show up as separate inputs within Pro Tools.

-Duardo

anonymous Tue, 02/01/2005 - 08:03

Hi, I do it all the time with an Alesis AI-3 optical patchbay (8 balanced inputs AND outputs) which allows me to track with with any pre I want and also allows you to use stereo compressors or whatever as inserts when mastering. You can get two more inputs by using the spdif for a total of 18. AI-3 only works at 44.1&48 khz. One odd thing, the AI-3 is actually faster than the 002R, i.e. a signal sent out and back in thru the 002R takes 3-4 samples longer than the same signal sent out and back in thru the AI-3 which is connected to the 002R. Weird