Skip to main content

Hey Guys,

First of all i've read most relevant threads about these two products but still needed clarification...

Im considering the following soundcards for my PC and wasnt sure which one was the better option (1616m v 1820m).. Now i live in Australia and both cards retail for $1200 AUD, but the only problem is, that the 1616m has not been released in Australia yet.. I know the converters are the same in both, but which one is more so worth getting?

I use Cubase and am relying on the mic preamp's that come with these sound cards to be better than my ultra gain tube ( a cheap pre ).. Im using a RODE NT-1A and SM58 as my main microphones- just to record vocals.

I was thinking about getting an RNP pre but they retail for $1300 here in Australia plus i needed a sound card also so that will be way out of my budget..

Any information would be great!

Rob

Topic Tags

Comments

AudioGaff Tue, 03/13/2007 - 19:24

The E-MU 1820/1820M has been discontinued for more than 6-months. The 1616/1616M has better mic pre's and is a better, more mature product that can be used in a PCMCIA/Cardbus laptop or PCI desktop. I have had and used the 16161M now for about a year and am very happy with it. Not perfect, but the power/felxibility/features have made it become my portable digital swiss army knife.

AudioGaff Wed, 03/14/2007 - 04:14

Well, that is too bad. No real big compliants. The 1616M has two less analog inputs/outputs than the 1820M. The only other things that really bother me or affect my work is when changing sample rates it can be pain in the butt if you don't do specific things in the right order. No built in mic pre pad. All audio has to processed in real time and not at the speed of the computer. The E-MU DSP effects are pretty good and work great when used with the E-MU PatchMix software mixer, but don't work so well as VST effects as advertised.