Skip to main content

I have a MOTU 2408 Mark 1 and 2-ADAT blackface and 2-ADAT XT-20s. I am trying to get the Adats into my computer but I can't seem to find a way to get Cubase or Reaper to see the optical inputs. I also don't have a manual for the 2408 and have not had any success locating one via google, yahoo, etc. Can anyone help me to get my ADAT tracks into my computer digitally? I am also looking for at least 2 and up to 4 ADAT 56-pin Elco to 1/4" snakes. Again no success with google, yahoo, Sweetwater, Guitar Center etc. Thx

Comments

TheJackAttack Sun, 03/27/2011 - 19:29

This is a pro audio interface but kind of a newbie question. Manuals are almost always available for download in pdf form from the manufacturers. Any manufacturer.

[[url=http://[/URL]="http://www.motu.com…"]MOTU.com - Product manuals[/]="http://www.motu.com…"]MOTU.com - Product manuals[/]

You may have to sign up (free) to access the downloads. This is the first place to start. A quick search found this:

My software does not see all of the inputs and outputs of my MOTU interface

If your software does not see all of the inputs or outputs of your MOTU interface, launch the interface's console to see if everything is configured properly.
For FireWire interfaces:

• See if "Optical Input" and "Optical Output" are set to none; if they are, change them to the desired format. If you are not using the optical I/O, set them to "None" to save FireWire bandwidth.

class="xf-ul">
For PCI interfaces:

• Use the "Configure Interface" drop-down menu to choose which interface's properties you are viewing.
  • Check "Enable Routing".
  • For the PCI-424 card, each pair will have a check box to independently enable input and output. Enable each input and output pair you wish to have available. If you are not using input or output pairs, uncheck the "Enable Input" or "Enable Output" box to disable them to save PCI bandwidth.
  • For the PCI-324 card, each pair will have a check box to enable its input and a drop-down menu to select "None", "From Computer", or any enabled input pair. To enable the inputs, check the box; to enable the outputs, set them to "From Computer". If you are not using input or output pairs, uncheck the "Enable Input" box and set the output drop-down menu to "None" to disable them to save PCI bandwidth.
  • For the 2408/2408mk2/2408mk3, set each bank to be the desired format: Analog, ADAT, TDIF, or S/PDIF. Remember that S/PDIF must be on Bank C.

class="xf-ul">

You will also have to learn about clock syncing which involves setting a "master" and the other ADAT devices as "slave."

Jack Dupp Sun, 03/27/2011 - 20:02

Thank you for your response. The pfd manual from Motu is for the 424 pci. Mine is the original 2408 with the 324 pci card. When I try to configure the inputs after enabling routing, there are no inputs or outputs displayed. Any ideas? I truly appreciate the help. I am getting frustrated and I have a project coming up when I will need this issue fixed. Thx

TheJackAttack Sun, 03/27/2011 - 20:44

The process should be the same. The main difference from the 324 to the 424 is how many units can be plugged into the PCI card. If you have gone into the 2408 and activated it's ADAT port for Master then you go to your Blackface or whatever and set it to slave the clock from the 2408. If you are using the word clock over bnc then you need to do the same and also remember to set what the clock source is.

Now, within Cubase you need to go into the VST manager and actually activate the inputs and outputs you wish. They do not activate all by default. The Cubase pdf manual is available for free download and is searchable. Page 170 of the current v.5 manual but the process is the same in ALL versions.

Jack Dupp Sun, 03/27/2011 - 21:05

Thx Again. Actually, I don't know how to access the 2408 master port and the pci 324 doesn't allow me to enable inputs or outputs. The configure interface arrow is visable but when pressed, its blank so I can't use it. I was able to enable routing. I have pressed the interface options button and it does "press" but doesn't do anything. Looking for Cubase manual now Thanks again.

Jack Dupp Wed, 03/30/2011 - 07:31

Thx.any help would be appreciated. My next step is to try to scrape together enough money for a new interface. I'm leaning towards a motu 828 hybrid or RME HDSP9652 or maybe a Focusrite SaffireLQ56. Any feedback with which of these interfaces are superior or more stable would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Jack Dupp Wed, 03/30/2011 - 20:22

No help from Motu

I purchased the Motu 2408 new in 1999. It has been in storage since mid 2000 as I was out of the U.S. on business. The card and interface e were in a temperature controlled environment.Both units appear to be functioning properly. Motu has said that there is no PDF manual available for download and that the paper version is out of print. I did register the piece when new and Motu has verified my purchase but no help seems to be forth coming from them. So much for customer service. If anyone has knowledge of a PDF manual for the 2408 mark 1 or has a printed copy for sale at a reasonable price, please let me know. Thank you.