Skip to main content

How do I assign a track to my Mackie Onyx 1220i mixer in Logic Pro 9? I tried choosing under I/O but I only find output 1 and 2 there.

Comments

TheJackAttack Thu, 09/30/2010 - 08:56

I found this on the Mackie website. It may or may not be related to your I/O defaulting to two tracks.

Mac – Apple Core Audio Driver
If you plan to use any other major DAW (aside from Pro Tools® M-Powered™ 8… see above) then there is no download needed, as Onyx-i Series mixers work using Mac’s built-in Core Audio driver.
Important Note: If you have an Onyx 820i, 1220i or 1620i and are connecting to a Mac, please make sure you are running the latest firmware. To check or update your firmware version, download and run the Updater file in the below .dmg. The latest firmware version (1.05.00129) resolves an issue where, in certain cases, the device may not enumerate properly when powered on and connected while the computer is booting or rebooting.
[[url=http://[/URL]="http://downloads.ma…"]Download Onyx-i Firmware Update[/]="http://downloads.ma…"]Download Onyx-i Firmware Update[/]
If you are not using a Mac, or if you have an Onyx 1640i (or any other Mackie device), do NOT update your device as this update could damage your device.

TheJackAttack Thu, 09/30/2010 - 15:28

It wouldn't if the all the strands of the firewire are not connected. A firewire 400 cable is generally 6 pins connected to 6 stranded wires. Two of those pins are generally reserved for power but not necessarily. Four of those pins carry data traffic. It is possible for there to be enough pins connected at 100% and only one or two pins connected at 70-80% creating periodic connectivity and limiting your track count.

Of course it could still be a setting in Logic but I would also think the controls would be more obvious.

hueseph Thu, 09/30/2010 - 17:41

Arnstein, post: 354372 wrote: I've tried both. Usually I boot with it plugged in, but as I've had problems with the machine being very slow while Onyx is plugged in lately, I have also booted without the Onyx being plugged in!

Have you fully updated your OS? There were problems with OS 10.5 that caused the cpu to spike when any audio application is launched. Up to 70% even with the octo core Mac Pros. That means even Quick Time or iTunes. You need to use the core audio driver for the Onyx i. In Logic, you may have to enable the inputs before you can see them in the channel options.

djmukilteo Thu, 09/30/2010 - 19:02

The mixer provides 12 channels input and 2 channels output on the FW
The inputs channels appear in the input channel map per the manual. they are pre or post EQ switchable
The two output channels appear in the output channel map per the manual.
If you aren't seeing those in Logic you will need to assign them...

djmukilteo Thu, 09/30/2010 - 22:08

Arnstein, post: 354386 wrote: I've upgraded the firmware :)
Maybe the firewire cable is bad, but it still should show me the option to send tracks to the mixer.

You said "send tracks to the mixer"....you can only send two tracks back to the mixer from your DAW.....
you can record 12 in but only two out...so you will need to bus your multiple tracks in your DAW to the two output tracks and they should appear on your mixer....

Arnstein Mon, 10/04/2010 - 15:35

djmukilteo, post: 354406 wrote: You said "send tracks to the mixer"....you can only send two tracks back to the mixer from your DAW.....
you can record 12 in but only two out...so you will need to bus your multiple tracks in your DAW to the two output tracks and they should appear on your mixer....

Ah, but how do I get for an example bus 3 to be on channel 3 on my mixer?

djmukilteo Mon, 10/04/2010 - 18:29

Arnstein:
The intent of your mixer is to be able to record 12 separate inputs (instruments) into your DAW software on 12 separate tracks which is does.
Each of 12 tracks in your software will be set to IN1-IN12. You record your 12 instruments separately into your software DAW.
Now on playback the output bus in your DAW for each of those 12 tracks can be assigned to the mixers return stereo pair OUT1-2. (not sure which channels but we'll say 1-2). There may be a way to change that you can read the manual....maybe your stuck with 1-2.
So now you have any of those 12 recorded tracks you want assigned in your software back to the mixer on 1-2 (they will be mixed in the DAW however you like them) and now you can track and record 10 more instruments (3-12) while listening to the first 12 now mixed down on 1-2 and add the new 10 on more tracks in your DAW....there is a myriad of options when doing things this way because any group of tracks can be bused back out to the mixer each time at will and can be remixed in stereo stems as you like adding more and more tracks each time....
If you want just try tracking 4 channels and then mix only 4 out at a time and just keep re-recording

It just means you have to be a little more creative with your tracking and busing....after all it isn't a full studio console...it's a mixer with 12 in and 2 out...

hueseph Mon, 10/04/2010 - 18:41

Still $1250 well spent IMHO. There is a virtual mixer and automation within your DAW. That's what it's there for. There are some great plugins out there, so make use of them. Don't think that just because you can't use faders that it's going to sound bad. That's not the way it works. So, work around it. The tools are still there. They're just a bit different.

TheJackAttack Mon, 10/04/2010 - 20:27

Master the 1220i and save your cash. Then upgrade to the 1640i which WILL let you return individual tracks from your DAW to the mixer for analog summing.

Or.....The Allen & Heath ZED R16 started this and then added the R24. The Mackie 1640i added that functionality from the earlier version I have.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to replace my older 1640 with either the new one or one of the A&H. For now, I've chosen to analog sum an even different route though. I come out of my Fireface 800's into a summing mixer instead. I just don't have any faders other than in the software.