Skip to main content

I want to upgrade an input of my Roland VS 2480 ... With an api 205 di

1. Can I use the api 205 direct input module as a stand alone input?.. Granted i buy the chasse with the power supply... will turning down the input level of the VS2480, and turning up the gain on the api 205L be super effective? or not.

VS2480:
Digital Studio Workstation | Roland U.S.

http://www.rolandus…"]VS-2480: Digital Studio Workstation | Roland U.S.

API 205L:
Discrete Direct Input http://www.apiaudio… API 205L Discrete Direct Input

Comments

hueseph Sat, 12/14/2013 - 00:32

I assume you have the required 200 series rack to plug this into? Personally, I would look into something a little more practical. The L205 is cool and it's API but there's the power supply and the rack. Hefty investment for a DI. See if you can find GT Brick or Avalon U5 or a UA 610 if it's in the budget. Line out from whichever DI you choose to Line in on the 2480. There should be no need to adjust the inputs radically. At unity with the inputs set to line level should be just fine.

pan60 Sat, 12/14/2013 - 11:13

Get 500 form version and you'll be better off as the offering for the 500 form format is almost limitless.
That is if you do not already have a 200 form system.

If you Never plan to add anything else to the system then a stand alone would make more sense.

As for a DI a I love the REDDI. but there are several nice DI's out these days.

djmukilteo Sun, 12/15/2013 - 23:10

MrPhaSe, post: 408908 wrote: 1. Can I use the api 205 direct input module as a stand alone input?.. Granted i buy the chasse with the power supply... will turning down the input level of the VS2480, and turning up the gain on the api 205L be super effective? or not....

Seems like a lot of work and effort for little value. PSU, chassis and one card?
Doesn't the VS2480 already have an instrument Di input?
Or is this 205 something you lready have and want to add in front of one of the VS mic input preamps?
It would help if you told us what exactly you're trying to do?.....guitar, keyboard, etc...
There are a ton of good Di's to use out there that don't need a chassis and PSU.
On that VS gain question you should always set that for zero gain (0db) and add your gain with the 205.

MrPhaSe Mon, 12/16/2013 - 01:38

djmukilteo, post: 408973 wrote: Seems like a lot of work and effort for little value. PSU, chassis and one card?
Doesn't the VS2480 already have an instrument Di input?
Or is this 205 something you lready have and want to add in front of one of the VS mic input preamps?
It would help if you told us what exactly you're trying to do?.....guitar, keyboard, etc...
There are a ton of good Di's to use out there that don't need a chassis and PSU.
On that VS gain question you should always set that for zero gain (0db) and add your gain with the 205.

Thanks for the informative feedback everyone!
All I have is the vs2480 without any outboard gear.
And I play and record multiple different instruments. Bass, keyboard... Organs

My objective is to start with one channel and begin to upgrade each input to a high end piece

djmukilteo Mon, 12/16/2013 - 11:14

MrPhaSe, post: 408975 wrote: Thanks for the informative feedback everyone!
All I have is the vs2480 without any outboard gear.
And I play and record multiple different instruments. Bass, keyboard... Organs

My objective is to start with one channel and begin to upgrade each input to a high end piece

The VS2480 is not something you can really upgrade with "outboard" gear. It was designed to provide an all in one solution with everything in one box. Now if you want to add a good quality DI for your bass, keyboards or organs I would look at Radial, Countryman or Reddi. Something with transformer isolation and impedance matching (maybe even active) and use the balanced low impedance mic outputs into your 8 Roland mic preamps.

[[url=http://[/URL]="http://www.sweetwat…"]Direct Boxes | Sweetwater.com[/]="http://www.sweetwat…"]Direct Boxes | Sweetwater.com[/]

That would be about the only thing you could or would want to do with that unit. The thing is your audio signal is still passing through the Roland preamps, being amplified, converted, recorded and then played back from your Roland.
And there's nothing really wrong with that....Roland gear is great stuff. But that's the sound. The sound will essentially be exactly the same. You might get a quieter signal using DI's going in but at the end of the day it's still going to have the Roland character and sound.
Is there something wrong or a problem with the way the VS sounds to you?

Now if you want to experiment with different outboard gear, preamps, effects, Eq, compressors etc and your looking for improved sound quality, I would suggest selling the Roland and getting something like a 500 series Lunchbox (Radial or API), which you can add different modules to, then a new digital audio interface, a computer and a DAW.

MrPhaSe Sat, 12/21/2013 - 20:53

djmukilteo, post: 408983 wrote: The VS2480 is not something you can really upgrade with "outboard" gear. It was designed to provide an all in one solution with everything in one box. Now if you want to add a good quality DI for your bass, keyboards or organs I would look at Radial, Countryman or Reddi. Something with transformer isolation and impedance matching (maybe even active) and use the balanced low impedance mic outputs into your 8 Roland mic preamps.

[[url=http://[/URL]="http://www.sweetwat…"]Direct Boxes | Sweetwater.com[/]="http://www.sweetwat…"]Direct Boxes | Sweetwater.com[/]

That would be about the only thing you could or would want to do with that unit. The thing is your audio signal is still passing through the Roland preamps, being amplified, converted, recorded and then played back from your Roland.
And there's nothing really wrong with that....Roland gear is great stuff. But that's the sound. The sound will essentially be exactly the same. You might get a quieter signal using DI's going in but at the end of the day it's still going to have the Roland character and sound.
Is there something wrong or a problem with the way the VS sounds to you?

Now if you want to experiment with different outboard gear, preamps, effects, Eq, compressors etc and your looking for improved sound quality, I would suggest selling the Roland and getting something like a 500 series Lunchbox (Radial or API), which you can add different modules to, then a new digital audio interface, a computer and a DAW.

smoke Thank you for you're wise input sir. You are leading me in the right direction without bias... Perhaps you should consider teaching/mentoring. (not being sarcastic)

gdoubleyou Mon, 12/30/2013 - 10:19

The VS2480 is legacy equipment, it will do what it does.
With a modular system you can upgrade components at you own pace.

The best investment I made was room treatment.

Great gear in a bad room will not get great results. Average gear in a good sounding room may get better results depending on your skills.

thumb