Skip to main content

I am currently using a MOTU 2408 MKII and am interested in upgrading the converters for at least two channels. I have spent a considerable amount of time getting the MOTU linked my PC running Cubase and my Yamaha O1v (ADAT Lightpipe), and I don't want to trash this set up. I am looking at the Lucid 2496 or the Apogee Rosetta. Both appear to be able to transfer digitally through the MOTU using S/PDIF. After perusing the board I can't really decide. It's really hard to A/B this stuff...

The Apogee folks are saying I should use the Rosetta and link the word clock from the Rosetta into the MOTU unit. I am not sure but I think I may get problems with this running Cubase. I've spent a lot of time getting this system to run decently.

The guys at my local music store brought up the Lucid 9624 but it doesn't have a word clock output so I guess I could just go into the MOTU S/PDIF without word clock.

Anyone with any thoughts on this? Will I see a marked improvement in sound quality on the critical vocal tracks I am now recording? The MOTU is cool, but it just ain't killing me.

I might add I just sprung for some outboard gear and mics including an Avalon 737, Blue Blueberry Mic, and RODE NTK. Things are starting to sound much better and I think I am close to audio nirvana!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...

Comments

Opus2000 Fri, 05/17/2002 - 11:05

Blazer..well, the folks at Apogee are absolutely correct...or let me put it this way...I am absolutely correct! :D
I havent compared the Lucid box but the fact that it doesnt have word clock out isnt great...not absolutely necessary but an important feature.
Word clock helps maintain the digital phasing of all gear and gives you a higher slew rate for better clock stability.
This is why Apogee is a great product
Opus

Opus2000 Sat, 05/18/2002 - 07:48

Fozz...indeed you are correct about the Rosetta only being a master...you don't need a master clock if you only have a couple of digital devices. What you can do is this, which is truly reccomended...
Put a BNC T split on the input of the first slave devices' word clock input...now take the word clock output of the Rosetta into that the T Split..out of the T split into the next device in the chain..if you still have other pieces to slave do the same thing on the second slave device as you did to the first slave device. BNC T splt.
Here's why you should do this..
When you bring word clock in to the device then use the output yu will possibly get a lag time do to throughput time..using the T split will gaurantee all devices get the same clock at the same time with no possible drift or slew.
Yes, the PSX is a great unit to have as well since it can be master and slave..does A/D, D/A and D/D!!!! Does ABS, Single or Double Wire 96Khz down AES. Optical, SPDIF and a lot more!
If you have any specific questions about Apogee gear please call me at work..I will be more than happy to answer any questions you have..
310-915-1000x16
My hours are 7am-3:30pm monday through friday. Cali time of course :p
Opus