Skip to main content

I'm a serious noob when it comes to recording studios. I do realize that most people are starting to sway away from analog mixing though.

First off I'm starting a studio and i dont know much about it. I do know i need to please all types of recording and I want to be able to create top notch sound equal to the best studios in the world.

Now my question. . I have a Mackie 4880 (new) got it for next to nothing. 50% of the people i talk to say its great just doesnt last 20 years like some manufacturers. The other 50% say its garbage and will create a low quality sound. I plan on using both analog and digital mixing and would like to use it because i have it. But could someone with some real experience, ( hopefully with Mackie) give me there experience and thoughts?

thanks and I appreciate all the responses ahead of time

:)

Topic Tags

Comments

RemyRAD Fri, 07/06/2012 - 22:45

Like I said before, this console is totally adequate for a startup home studio. No question about that. The microphone preamps are quite reasonable. They actually sound good. The equalizers are equally quite usable. This console will last you long enough until you get tired of it. It has enough features to do anything you want with it. It's perfectly lovely and perfectly capable. I've made lovely recordings with earlier Mackie's. And they even compare favorably to much more expensive items like API that I mentioned to you before. Somehow I don't quite think you're listening to me? Of course you don't have to. Unlike full-blown professional analog consoles, this console can be easily plugged in to anything and everything. It will go nicely with your Focusrite. It will go nicely with a ProTools rig. Nothing to worry about here. It will produce good quality professional recordings. Any engineer will be happy to utilize it. Nobody will complain. Nobody will put it down. It's not garbage. It contains everything you need. What else can I say? Other than... goodnight and good luck. (Edward R. Murro circa 1960s CBS-TV)

It's me again!
Mx. Remy Ann David