Skip to main content

There is a MCI JH 600 console up for sale here. I got interested because it seems like a good deal. Problem is, I have none hands-on experience with MCI, only heard stuff about and recorded with the MCI. Good stuff. Anyone have opinions/experience of this console ?

This one is 36 channels, inline, pre's & eq on all channels, master section and I think there are even VCA-groups. Price about $5000. What do you guys think ?

Topic Tags

Comments

KurtFoster Fri, 01/23/2004 - 15:06

It's a great sounding console. Think Eagles, Eric Clapton, K.C and the Sunshine Band, ... anything recorded at Criteria in Miami in the 70's.

I had one for several years and I loved it. They tend to run a little hot and eat themselves (you can hold your hand over the control surface and feel the heat rising), so they need regular maintenance. With regular daliy use you may expect to spend 3 or 4 hours a month fixing down channel strips.. If you have extra channel strips, they are easily switched out in a minute or so. The power supplies (2) are huge and heavy but fairly robust. The good news is the 600's are easy to service in the field, are well built and designed. No mercury switches or any of that kind of BS.

The preamps are much like the Hardey 990s and can actually be replaced by the Hardey and Jensen transformers with little effort. The 600 series channel strips come in two flavors normal 3 band with a full parametric mid eq and the Super 600's with para lo, mids, and highs..

The VCA subgroups are "wild faders" assigned by thumbwheel switches. $5000 USD seems about right.. especially if the console has the Super 600 channel strips.

BTW I have 2 super 600 channel strips, a master section, a monitor section, some fader packs and a bunch of tuchel connectors for the 636 I would love to sell if you are interested ..(sorry, I had to do that).