Skip to main content

Howdy,

Who here owns or makes frequent use of MKH40's ? What is your favorite application for them? I am wondering if they are ok for use as a main pair or at least for emphasizing a section or solist. How would you compare them to TLM193's in similar applications?

I'm curious to hear from folks who've used them extensively.

thanks,

-dave

Comments

Marlan Wed, 06/22/2005 - 16:12

MKH40

I probably use these mics on roughly 80 percent of the sessions I do, whether they're used as woodwind spot mics on orchestral sessions or in the studio for almost any acoustic instrument one can think of. Of course, they are'nt always the best choice for every application.

I was recently recording a string quartet in a fantastic hall with a single pair of Schoeps MK2H cmc6 mics and decided that I wanted a little bit more bite from the cellist. I once again turned to the mic I keep in a bag for special situations just as this. The MKH40 worked brilliantly as usual.

The MKH 20 Omni's are also some of my favorites. They come with special rubber ring mounts that slide over the diaphragm turning them into a sort of modified wide Cardioid (think Schoeps MK21).
Two mics for the price of one!

Anyway, always try as many mics as you can and see what you like.
I have many favorites that I use for different applications.

Cheers,

Marlan
http://www.marlanbarryaudio.com

alexaudio Sat, 08/13/2005 - 22:55

I have found the MKH-40s to be an extremely clean microphone that works well in many situation, but generally speaking, I have found the MKH-40 just not able to provide any excitement. I can never put my finger on it, but I am not the only one with the comment. They are just plain neutral but also do not add any pizzazz or life to what they are listening too. This can be an good thing and a bad thing. However, I recently tried 3 MKH-800s, and simply put, these are the best microphones in the Sennheiser line. They are now on my future purchase list, where-as the MKH-40s are well, good if I can find them at a good 'used' price and have money to get them at the time. I wouldn't be buying the 40s new.

Alex

x

User login