Skip to main content

Anybody have any experience with this mic for male vocals?

Comments

Davedog Fri, 02/01/2008 - 18:24

I have not heard one. I have read sterling reviews on it and would tend to think that its probably really good. Mojave is a company founded by David Royer, who makes some awfully great sounding mics with his 'other' company, Royer.

So is this going to be a replacement for the Rode?

If so, I keep tellin ya, BigDaddy, that you need to look to the Heil PR40 for your vocal mic. At 300 street, its a steal.

Keep your Rode for the acoustic guitar stuff.

anonymous Fri, 02/01/2008 - 19:55

I'm trying to zero in on something that will help my terrible singing voice...LOL.

I'll keep the Rode as a backup since all I need is a mic for tambourine and other percussion besides my vocals. I use everything direct.

The Rode is harsh but reproduces things well. Not for voice as I found out.

I will report back about the mic when I get it.

I should be done with a song this week. I keep getting side tracked because of my spinal condition.

Mastering on a VS 2400 is not an easy thing. It's really not laid out for professional work but it what I have.

anonymous Sat, 02/02/2008 - 02:14

I did a lot of research and I though this was the best mic for me. It was the matter of the point of diminishing returns.

In other words do I get more mic for more money and can the Roland VS 2400 distinguish between them.

I wasn't going to spend $5000 for a mic.

Believe it or not what sold me was that I heard a guy take an MXL POS and rebuild it with the same tube and Jensen transformers. It sounded great..perfect fr my voice..they said it had a similar capsule to a U47 so he just rebuilt the mic's amp inside and power supply. All in all it sounded like what he did basically was build a Mojave MA 200. He built it using a different tubes and transformers and that combination was clearly better. Plus that tube is used in the new AK47 Telefunken which is said to be better than the m16.

It too has a Chinese capsule and those are $1600+ mics.

I noticed that the MA 200 had Jensen transformers which I always liked over others when A/B'd with them and the same 5480 mini tube.

From what I understand Royer sends them the tubes and Jensen transformers and the Chinese build it for him to his sopecs. He took his time getting them to get to spec and did not build until he did. They are limited build and going to go up in price.

I think the Mojave hooked into the Great River pre should do it for me.

moonbaby Sat, 02/02/2008 - 07:53

BD:
You should seriously consider Dave's sage advice. Try a PR-40. They remind me of my girlfriend: big, tight, and smooth!
Personally, I think that there are a lot of over-hyped mics on the market.
The PR-40 is the real thing, and a steal at $300.00. And if you buy one, and decide that the mic ain't doin' it fer ya, PM me. I'll send my "big, tight, and smooth" friend up there to buy it off you for what you paid for it.
She may even cure that spinal condition!

anonymous Sat, 02/09/2008 - 22:07

I have used the MA 200 on a few different ocasions. I really love it. I listened to the Heil PR 40 and they sound great too but I have never used it on a session or A B-ed the two mics. The Ma 200 is very clear and has a real bright sound and can be used on many application other than vocal. I have used it on Drum overheads, bass cab, vocals, Marimba, Piano, acoutic guitar. It is very versital. I have used it on both male and female vocals with great results and if you get it you wont be disapointed. But you will have to shell out more than for the Heil. Good luck making your choice.