Skip to main content

Opus or anyone, help!

I upgraded my operating system to Win2k Pro and installed my Delta 1010LT card. No problems! No conflicts! No sound! What's wrong? There are no other sound cards installed. Anyone have any ideas? The other unresolved problems I have aside from this are a conflict with my USB midi interface and my external modem com port, but I don't think that should effect my soundcard that Windows says is working properly. Man, this can drive you crazy.

I would greatly appreciate any advice, comments, insights etc. anyone has.

Thanks.

Comments

lambchop Fri, 06/13/2003 - 10:31

Here's my configuration

Processor -Intel 82845MP Brookdale 2Ghz
Motherboard - BCM BC845DL
BIOS - Whizpro BIOS Ver. 10.01 dated 4/02/02
Ram - 512Mgb 1st Harddrive - 10Ggb
2nd Harddrive - 80Ggb
Operating System - Win2K Pro w/Service Pack 3
Soundcard - Delta 1010LT

Hopefully this will help.

anonymous Sat, 06/14/2003 - 00:18

Hi Lambchop !

Is your computer installed in the ACPI or STANDARD PC mode ? If in ACPI, it is very probable that, even though the card doesn't have ANY conflict, another card or device is using the cards IRQ... It can be the case in STANDARD mode also (been there - done that :) ) So, if you already haven't, check that the card has it's own IRQ# (no other device should share it !)... Hope it helps... Tell me if that doesn't work, we'll figure something out ! CHeers !

pbryce Sat, 06/14/2003 - 21:31

Opus said :
"ya know, I've heard some weird things happening with the Win2k service pack 3..."

Well I've heard the same thing, in fact, I am still on SP1 as I don't have a modem or Internet connection on the Music machine, and the fixes on the other SP's are mostly internet related fixes I believe.

Other than that, I seem to recall there being a problem with your soundcard/drivers and W2K somewhere else, but I can't remember the source, sorry :(

Hope you fix it soon !

lambchop Mon, 06/16/2003 - 08:10

I was able to change my computer to 'standard pc' mode from within the Win2K operating system. As for DirectX, I have Version 8.1 installed. There is a new 9.0 but I want wait as the system worked under Win98SE. What I'm thinking of doing is to wipe my C: drive clean again and do a fresh install. What do you guys think?

lambchop Mon, 06/16/2003 - 10:48

Just an update! I just downloaded Delta's latest drivers dated 6/13/03. I'll see if that helps. And in response to Hypo's earlier question - Yes, I checked the IRQ's and my card is not sharing with anything else. I do have a sharing/conflict though with my video card and a PCI bus. Also, after I installed Win2K my system would keep telling me that it found new hardware (PCI bus) but it couldn't find the files to load it, so it was disabled by the system.

lambchop Fri, 06/20/2003 - 16:33

Update #2

I reinstalled Win2k in "standard pc" mode (actually I used the repair function). It's a big improvement. I don't get the found new hardware screen for the PCI Device, my modem now works, the Delta card has its own IRQ. But still no sound. I'm starting to think that it has to do with the Delta control panel. Does anyone have any experience with this control panel software? It'supposedly the same one used with the Delta 1010 & Delta 66.1. Any ideas are welcomed. I just want to be able to record again.

anonymous Mon, 06/23/2003 - 15:29

I have a Delta 1010 and had some SERIOUS problems working in Win2000 (nothing I tried, and trust me I tried everything, would solve the problem), so I had to switch to WinXP... Since then I have almost NO problems at all... No clicks & pops, No bluescreens, and very low latency... My suggestion is - switch to XP - and start making some music instead of tweaking the PC, you'll find it generaly much better suited for musicians, and you'll save yourself some valuable time & money ! :) Cheers...

lambchop Tue, 06/24/2003 - 07:20

Ta-Dah!!!!

It's up! It's running! ....and there's nary a pop or click to report!

I increased the buffer size for the channels in Cubase VST which significantly improved the sound, but the final [bold]major[/bold] improvement was when I downloaded and installed Win2K Service Pack 2 (yep Opus, I steered clear of that Service Pack 3 like you told me).

Now, I don't think that I'm done yet. When I increased the buffer size I also increased my latency up to 23ms. Do you think that this is an acceptable amount of delay for recording?

By the way, I want to thank all you guys for all of your suggestions and help with this problem.