Skip to main content
Pro Audio Community

Neve 1073 vs ISA/trident

Hey yall. Im trying to narrow down what makes sense for a channel strip for general purpose usage. Vocals, voice over, acoustic and electric guitar, and ambient mic.

The neve 1073 pre/eq and the focusrite isa 2 with the trident 80b 500 series eq, both have my interest. They are similarly priced, with the isa/80b being a stereo setup, neve would be mono.

In one way i like the simplicity and timelessness of the neve, in another i like the ISA/80b combo as something a little more unique. Seems like everything these days is done on a neve. Ive used a classic calrec at the studio, and heard an ISA at GC and via marcos videos. I loved the oomph of the trident eq on a trident 24, but i am unsure how similar it is to the 80b.

I am likely going to get 1 or 2, dbx 160 500 series modules, since they are very low priced, and the 160a rack unit is discontinued!! This should round things out for a solid pro level channel path, without boutique pricing, or 'project studio' level stuff. Tho the black lion audio bluey 1176 clone seems interesting.

Ideally id get both the neve and focusrite/trident, but i think im going to wait until i move and have a true studio room before i aquire much OB gear. Just need one good channel strip for now.

Im open to any alternatives too.

Thanks.

Comments

kmetal Thu, 08/08/2019 - 20:07

Kurt Foster, post: 461863, member: 7836 wrote: i received it with extra tubes including some Mullards if i recall correctly. the differences were minor.

i have never heard la-610.

Interesting ive heard some people get telefunkin tubes. Its worth contacting millenia to see what they are offering now.

What about the bandwidth knobs? Did you get the stepped ones?

Kurt Foster Thu, 08/08/2019 - 21:38

kmetal, post: 461864, member: 37533 wrote: Interesting ive heard some people get telefunkin tubes. Its worth contacting millenia to see what they are offering now.

What about the bandwidth knobs? Did you get the stepped ones?

they might have been Telefunkins, i had an EL OP at the same time and i had a lot of extra tubes for both of them. it was quite a while ago.

"PARAMETRIC EQUALIZER SECTION (9) BAND IN/OUT SWITCH "IN"Pushbutton switch which places its associated EQ band in circuit or out of circuit. There are four bands of equalization on the STT-1 Origin. The four frequency bands are labeled LF (low frequencies), LM (low-mid frequencies [20 Hz - 2.5 kHz]), HM (high-mid frequencies [250 Hz - 25 kHz]), and HF (high frequencies). An EQ band is in circuit when its associated band switch is depressed and LED is illuminated. Because of the equalizer's unique network-shunt design, EQ bands should have no detectable sonic signature when they are in circuit as long as the boost/cut control is set at zero. Band In/Out switches are provided both for comparing a single EQ band setting versus flat-band response, and for bypassing the EQ entirely.

(10) FREQUENCY SELECT SWITCH Rotary switch (Grayhill, gold contacts, military spec) which selects fixed high and low band fre-quencies. LF control center frequencies are set to 20, 34, 56, 100, 180, and 270 Hz. HF control center frequencies are set to 4.8k, 5.8k, 8.0k, 10k, 16k, and 21 kHz.

(11) PEAK/SHELF SELECT SWITCHPushbutton switch which selects LF band and HF band curve shape. When switch is depressed and LED is illuminated, EQ is shelving at 6 dB per octave. When switch is not depressed, EQ is peaking with a fixed "Q" of 1.0.

(12) BOOST/CUT CONTROLConductive plastic rotary potentiometer offering up to +15 dB of boost and -15 dB of cut. Boost/Cut potentiometer has 21 detented positions for accurate repeatability and session log-ging.

(13) PARAMETRIC FREQUENCY CONTROLConductive plastic rotary potentiometers (2) which sweep all center frequencies from 20 Hz to 25 kHz. The low-mid band ("LM") sweeps 20 Hz to 220 Hz -or- 200 Hz to 2.2 kHz, depend-ing on the status of Frequency Range Switch (below). The high-mid band sweeps 250 Hz to 2.5 kHz -or- 2.5 kHz to 25 kHz, depending on the status of Frequency Range Switch (below). This control is optionally available with 21-step detents for accurate repeatability and logging.

(14) PARAMETRIC FREQUENCY RANGE SELECT SWITCH "10X"Pushbutton switch which selects 1X or 10X parametric frequency range. When switch is de-pressed and corresponding LED is illuminated, frequencies as shown on front panel legend are multiplied by 10X. When switch is not depressed and LED is not illuminated, frequencies are as shown on front panel legend.

(15) PARAMETRIC QUALITY CONTROL "Q"Conductive plastic rotary potentiometer which sweeps "Q" (Quality factor) from 0.4 to 4.0. "Q" is defined as the ratio of the center frequency to the bandwidth. For example, a filter boost setting with "3 dB down points" near 100 Hz and 1000 Hz exhibits a "Q" of approximately 0.4. This control is optionally available with 21-step detents for accurate repeatability and session logging."

pcrecord Fri, 08/09/2019 - 04:49

kmetal, post: 461861, member: 37533 wrote: What are your thoughts on the eq on the la-610 pre amp section?

the eq on the LA-610 has very little settings available.. choose 2 freq to boost or cut.. The Q is a bit wide so I wouldn't use it to remove unwanted frequencies since it would cut too much.
But a bit of lowend refinement and some clarity if needed is a good option to have..

One of my LA-610 was not used very often, but after changing the tubes recently, it's back on the game !!

kmetal Fri, 08/09/2019 - 13:19

pcrecord, post: 461869, member: 46460 wrote: But a bit of lowend refinement and some clarity if needed is a good option to have..

Do you find yourself using it much?

What type of difference did the tube swap make?

pcrecord Sun, 08/11/2019 - 05:54

kmetal, post: 461877, member: 37533 wrote: Do you find yourself using it much?

What type of difference did the tube swap make?

Yes on one of my LA-610, I often push +1.5db at 7k for vocal clarity and sometime cut 1.5db at 200hz.

The one that needed the tubes change, it was sounding a bit nazal before I did it. Now I rarely use eq.. and on some vocals, even in the mix, there isn't need for an eq..
The thing is with the tube swap, it's a bit a thing of chance.. I can't afford buying 50 different tubes and trying combinaison until I get it perfect..
But what I ordered did the job nicely.. Maybe the same tubes on another unit wouldn't be a good match at all.. My 610 were made in 2001 and I suspect they ran 24/7 for years before I bought them...