Skip to main content

I'm looking to get one channel of good colored pre and I'm considering the following two units: the API 512c w/ API lunchbox and the Brent Averill 1272.

Any suggestions here? Is there an alternative power supply for the API pre that is less expensive than the lunchbox?

Comments

RemyRAD Sat, 02/11/2006 - 14:15

I too have both of these particular preamps. The API only requires a + and - 15 volt supply but Phantom requires 48 volts. The Brent Averill 1272 supply, I believe is only 24 volts (with 48 volt Phantom) as that is a class A unit, where the API is AB, push/pull output and requires a bipolar supply. They are both quite nice but the API is an actual microphone preamplifier where the 1272 was not. That is to say, the 1272 was an intermediate amplifier converted for microphone use and so no Neve console ever really had a "1272 microphone preamplifier", they are however quite nice. The API lunchbox power supply is designed with a fair amount of current in mind for multiple powering of units, as the APIs do get quite warm from their current draw. You can order commercially available power supplies for much less, but of course that could void your warranty?

API and Neve. Yeah!!
Ms. Remy Ann David

anonymous Sat, 02/11/2006 - 14:18

RemyRAD wrote: I too have both of these particular preamps. The API only requires a + and - 15 volt supply but Phantom requires 48 volts. The Brent Averill 1272 supply, I believe is only 24 volts (with 48 volt Phantom) as that is a class A unit, where the API is AB, push/pull output and requires a bipolar supply. They are both quite nice but the API is an actual microphone preamplifier where the 1272 was not. That is to say, the 1272 was an intermediate amplifier converted for microphone use and so no Neve console ever really had a "1272 microphone preamplifier", they are however quite nice. The API lunchbox power supply is designed with a fair amount of current in mind for multiple powering of units, as the APIs do get quite warm from their current draw. You can order commercially available power supplies for much less, but of course that could void your warranty?

API and Neve. Yeah!!
Ms. Remy Ann David

So now I see why the 1073s are so ridiculously expensive. They must be actual Neve mic pres.

RemyRAD Sat, 02/11/2006 - 17:50

Ahhh......Well, the original 1073 was designed and built by Rupert Neve. One of the reasons why those are so expensive is that those modules have the equalizer built-in with the microphone preamplifier, where you are inquiring about just microphone preamplifier's.

There are many other manufacturers that have "cloned" the 1073 EQ/microphone preamplifier, if that's what you really want but it's not exactly that. That is to say, the transistor preamplifiers within the cloned units, might be identical but they don't have the identical transformers to use anymore. That's not to say that they are not using better transformers, it just won't sound the same as the original. It might sound better (from what I've read reviews on)? But it won't sound like a 1073.

My Ruppert Neve console does not have 1073s in it, my console was a TV broadcast board and had a module that does not have class A output sections. Mine are the 3115 class A/B output variety. They virtually sound the same since they have the original transformers within them. Mine don't have as many frequency selections as the 1073 but they still have that Neve sound. Perhaps you just want to find some used originals? It all depends on what sound you're looking for?

Neve/API golden girl
Ms. Remy Ann David

Kev Sat, 02/11/2006 - 18:53

1272 - Line Amplifier - N/10,022, 10468, B183/AV, LO1166

did get configured as a Mic-pre for talkback
http://www.technicalaudio.com/neve/1200-1299.html (John Klett)

many articles and pages around the net describing how it has been use
Geoff Tanner has some of the best info
http://www.auroraaudio.net/dcforum/DCForumID1/170.html

JLM Audio also has some good info and schems that will help (Joe Malone)

Dan Alexander has some good brochures and descriptive material

atlasproaudio Sat, 02/11/2006 - 21:55

FoundSounds wrote: I'm looking to get one channel of good colored pre and I'm considering the following two units: the API 512c w/ API lunchbox and the Brent Averill 1272.

Any suggestions here? Is there an alternative power supply for the API pre that is less expensive than the lunchbox?

Not that I know of. The racks available currently are made by OSA, API or Brent Averill. There isn't anything cheaper than around $500.

RemyRAD Sun, 02/12/2006 - 00:23

Kev, thanks to your post, I went to both sites you have links to. I know John Klett but must have somehow lost his site and so it was out of sight and out of mind (which is what I normally am). I was quite impressed with Geoffrey Tanner's Aurora site! Thank you for posting those links! I dropped Geoff a posting, regarding my desks and trying to find more information on their history. He is a wonderful wealth of information! I guess I just don't surf enough?

2 Neve girl
Ms. Remy Ann David

x

User login