Skip to main content

New here, Soundcard question

alright well, Im brand new to recording and this whole thing is very confuzing but interesting as well.

I have aquired a studio projects B1 mic as recomended to me, and a studio projects VTB1 tube mic Pre, Now the only th ing is it runs through the computers soundcard and sounds well, not to good. So The thing would be to buy a good recording soundcard right?

Ive been recomended the EMU 1212m soundcard but I hear good things about the M-Audio Delta 44 as well.

Im using windows if it has anythign to do with it, I would also Like to keep the budget under 200 dollars canadian.

I am mostly doing guitar clips with this, mabye some vocals and other things but for the most part guitar. the output on the VTB1 is a 1/4 inch instrument cable, so The card should have that input.

Thank you in advance.


AudioGaff Fri, 04/06/2007 - 22:13
At any rate at that price point there isn't much difference between interfaces

Most of the time, this is true. But the E-MU 1212M is very much above average and ranks with up there with the best. The converters in the E-MU "M" mastering grade products sound outstanding and are highly rated. Very rare for an affordable mass produced product, yet alone in a sound card. The overall value is outstanding and E-MU sets the bar high. Sonar LE, Cubase LE, Wavelab Lite, Ableton LE and some plugs. More than enough to get any multitrack basic recording done and get a very good feel for using different software tools.

RemyRAD Mon, 04/02/2007 - 20:33
Welcome to the best place on the Internet! I'm sure you will gain much good information here.

Rather than get a card that you must plug into the computer, internally, why not look into an external USB or FireWire interface? That way, if you should ever decide to go lap topping, you'll already have and know your audio interface and software, well. And with the external interface, there is usually less problems with computer "clock noise" and such.

If you have an interest in ever running Pro tools (considered by many to be an industry standard)? You might want to look into some of the external M-Audio products, which are the only authorized products from Digidesign, that can run ProTools (since they bought M-Audio). Finally, ProTools for the common man's/woman's budget.

Just keep reading here @ for more worthy information
Ms. Remy Ann David

Member Mon, 04/02/2007 - 21:54
thanks Remy;

I see your point, and as I have already reached my "budget" for this recording, and I Dont realy have an interest in protools, or any high end program, for now im looking just to use audicity or other free programs just for simplicity.

What would be the cheapest !/4 inch to usb converter solution? Something I can go straight from the tube mic preamp to the usb, mabye just as adaptor? Is there any problem doing that?

Member Sat, 04/07/2007 - 09:28
ok, The 1212m looks great, but I dont think I have enough slots to fit it in my computer.

The M audio delta 44 is what Im really interested in.

I really likethe box that I can sit on top of my computer for easy access, so my question is this.

The inpts are 1/4 inch. I can go from my tube mic preamp (VTB1) Straight into the imputs right?

Just making sure..

hueseph Tue, 04/03/2007 - 23:37
As long as you don't mind going into your crappy computer soundcard. You're ok. Don't count on any reasonable latency. And if you plan on using one of the alternative ASIO drivers, don't count on reliability.

It can be done but there's no guarantee that it will be trouble free. Well...there's no guarantee that it will be trouble free no matter how you do it but getting a decent interface might help to thin out the possible problems.