Skip to main content

Why would I want a "medium" size diaphragm mic capsule ? Seriously ! What are the pros ? Anyone who has experience with the Oktava 103 capsule ? I'd love to hear input !
Thanks and as always, MPBWY ! :)

Comments

DonnyThompson Fri, 09/08/2017 - 04:48

Davedog, post: 452603, member: 4495 wrote: (Heh heh)....This isn't often this happens but.....Bos, AT4033A is Audio Technica......not: Akustiche und Kino-Gerate Gesellschaft....Sorry. Couldn't resist!

I liked your post because you are bad-ass enough to know what "AKG" is an abbreviation for.
Seriously. That was cool, Dave.... And educational, too. :)

DonnyThompson Fri, 09/08/2017 - 05:39

Rode also makes a 3/4" condenser, the NT3.
It's not everyday I get to back-up Bos (Boswell )' so I have to grab the opportunity when I can, cuz usually I simply lurk and soak up his knowledge...
LDC'S in their early years were designed to increase the signal to noise ratio in condenser mics, which were generally tube designs, and the larger (1") diaphragm was better because it covered the inherent noise caused by the tubes.
A larger diaphragm captures more, and creates higher signal voltage.
SDC's became more popular as technology advancements came up with quieter electronic and tubes.
The general consensus over the years is that LDC mics are usually more "full sounding", more "Rich", in tone, while SDC's are better at capturing "faster" sound sources, like acoustic instruments, drum overheads, etc. Presumably, Octava, Rode, and other manufacturers were looking at mics using 3/4" diaphragms, that would provide the "best of both worlds".
But those generalities aren't always the case... I've gotten great recordings of acoustic instruments with LDC mics - drum overheads, too... And I've had great sounding vocal tracks using SDC'S.
Personally speaking, I think the quality of the mic matters more than the diaphragm size...in that if I had a cheap LDC like a Behringers or Samson - and a Nuemann SDC, and I had only those to choose from for recording a vocal, the Nuemann is the no-brainer choice, every time, even if it is an SDC, because it's by far a better sounding mic.
In the end, you just have to use your ears, and find the best sounding mic for a particular scenario, regardless of its diaphragm size. ;)

DonnyThompson Fri, 09/08/2017 - 07:36

Boswell, post: 452618, member: 29034 wrote: Educational? He left out the Umlaut in Geräte and an "s" out of Akustische!

Well, being of Scottish descent, and not speaking a word of Deutsch, I was impressed. But then again, I'm impressed when I get up in the morning and eventually get to being vertical and self-propelled - so I'm not a hard sell, I'm easily impressed..
;)

Davedog Fri, 09/08/2017 - 07:52

Boswell, post: 452618, member: 29034 wrote: Educational? He left out the Umlaut in Geräte and an "s" out of Akustische!

I got no 'umlaut's' on my keyboard! And of course I was poking fun.........As for the 's'....I was dreaming I was typing on a train.....

As to the OP's question....I find most often a medium sized capsule, as was succinctly described by the aforementioned Sir Bos, does a better job at many applications than do SDC's or LDC's that would probably be what would be used normally. I LOVE my AT4033 (no A). It is as much a desert island mic as any other multiuse mic....ala: SM57/58, AKG 414EB, etc.