Skip to main content

I just got my matched cardioid pair ! I haven't done any serious work with them yet. I did however, do a quik setup and record to tape of my acoustic guitar. I did use them as a spaced pair. I bought these specifically for recording my acoustic guitar. These are some extremely sensitive mics. Wow. I'm thinking that the 10db pad may be required for close mic of guitar and I will obviously be spending some time getting my placement and gain staging just right.
A very quik test says I love these mics already. I have no doubt that I will be (over time) acquiring matched sets of the other available caps as well. The only SDC I can compare them to are the SM81's which I own. I'm not going to go into this vs that. I think they are both good stuff. Now, it's just a matter of learning them. Yay !

Comments

Raymond Mon, 08/28/2017 - 06:32

kmetal, post: 452331, member: 37533 wrote: Congrats Ray, glad you found something your happy with!

Thanks ! When reading and researching these mics, I keep running across remarks of how this is a good mic that can be made great with modification. All things being subjective, I think they are already fabulous sounding. My short test recording of an acoustic guitar is very pleasing to my ears. I have no idea how they will work in the mix, yet. But, I'm optimistic. Considering the cost of building upon the modular nature of these mics, I see no reason why I should not pursue the rest of the complements. An article by Mr Jolly proclaims the hypercardioid capsules to be very useful in cases where the singer is the guitar player simultaneously. That's definitely me ! That capability certainly opens the door for recording soloist singer songwriters who want a demo. I have a Rode K2 that serves as a decent vocal mic. However, I have no doubt, I need a selection of different vocal mics to suit different singers.
Oh well, I'm just rambling now.
MPBWY

Davedog Mon, 08/28/2017 - 07:46

Congratulations! It's always fun to get something new that right out of the box solidifies your hopes for the performance.

SDC's are by nature, very particular sounding. Each make and model really has a stamped sound due to the build and how the mic interacts with the environment around it. More so than LDC's which will always add so much more 'room' to the sound.

The Oktava is a 'true' condenser whereas your SM81's are 'electret bias'. All this has to do with is the charge on the back-plate of the capsule. An electret is a permanent charged plate and the true condenser requires phantom power to charge the plate at every use.

Because the SDC's are so individualistic in their nature I have several pairs. Some are electret some are true condenser. All have their place. I still kick myself for not buying a pair of Mike Jolly modded Oktava 012's a couple of years ago. And at a very good price.....ack!

Have fun....experiment.....You might find in a spaced pair that the Oktava on the 12th fret and an 81 on the body is really magical!

kmetal Mon, 08/28/2017 - 10:11

Raymond, post: 452338, member: 50745 wrote: I have a Rode K2 that serves as a decent vocal mic.

A tube swap can go a long way on the Rode, or really any tube mic, but particularly the Rode and Avalon level stuff. Just tossing that out there should you get the upgrade buzz, that's and easy one.

Davedog, post: 452340, member: 4495 wrote: The Oktava is a 'true' condenser whereas your SM81's are 'electret bias'. All this has to do with is the charge on the back-plate of the capsule. An electret is a permanent charged plate and the true condenser requires phantom power to charge the plate at every use.

Nice little factoid there davedog. It's good to know about the tools of the trade.

Raymond Mon, 09/04/2017 - 10:58

Davedog, post: 452340, member: 4495 wrote: Congratulations! It's always fun to get something new that right out of the box solidifies your hopes for the performance.

SDC's are by nature, very particular sounding. Each make and model really has a stamped sound due to the build and how the mic interacts with the environment around it. More so than LDC's which will always add so much more 'room' to the sound.

The Oktava is a 'true' condenser whereas your SM81's are 'electret bias'. All this has to do with is the charge on the back-plate of the capsule. An electret is a permanent charged plate and the true condenser requires phantom power to charge the plate at every use.

Because the SDC's are so individualistic in their nature I have several pairs. Some are electret some are true condenser. All have their place. I still kick myself for not buying a pair of Mike Jolly modded Oktava 012's a couple of years ago. And at a very good price.....ack!

Have fun....experiment.....You might find in a spaced pair that the Oktava on the 12th fret and an 81 on the body is really magical!

I'll definitely give your suggestion a whirl.

Raymond Mon, 09/04/2017 - 11:05

kmetal, post: 452343, member: 37533 wrote: A tube swap can go a long way on the Rode, or really any tube mic, but particularly the Rode and Avalon level stuff. Just tossing that out there should you get the upgrade buzz, that's and easy one.

Nice little factoid there davedog. It's good to know about the tools of the trade.

Thanks. I read so many articles in which people write a tube upgrade is almost a necessity for the K2. As far as "upgrade buzz" (as you stated) I have 4ea MXL 990's which were "bonus" items. I'm seriously considering the capsule and electronics upgrade offered by microphones.com. Otherwise, the 990's are simply taking up space. They have a variety of capsules and I'm thinking I will go for matched pairs of two different types. I'm definitely NOT scared of a soldering iron :)

Raymond Mon, 09/04/2017 - 11:06

sdelsolray, post: 452459, member: 12873 wrote: The Oktava MC-012 is a fine mic amp body, without modification, with the Dorsey mod or with the Joly mod. The SD capsules are decent too. I don't have much experience with Oktava's LD modular capsules, but the two I tried were also decent, and rather quiet.

That's a nice report on their LDC caps. Thanks ! :)