Skip to main content

Just curious if anyone has done the comparison between the sound quality of Pro Tools HD converters and a RME FireFace 800?

Comments

RemyRAD Mon, 10/31/2011 - 23:36

While that question may be academic one must also consider this: as professional as AVID claims to be, they will not provide you with any documentation regarding their lousy microphone preamp's in their stuff. I find nothing professional about that aspect of them, which is basically their equipment. And although I have no RME gear, I might imagine they'll show you the schematic for their microphone preamp? I've just never been impressed by secret blab blab proprietary BS. There isn't anything proprietary in their stuff & no reason why they shouldn't supply schematics. I'm a professional technician and I want to be able to fix it when it blows up thank you. So I say thank God for non-hardware necessary Pro Tools 9 and beyond. I'd say go with the RME and number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9.

Actually I thought it was kind of funny as one of the things they were demonstrating about ProTools 10 was that it was doing real-time fades, now, without having to render thousands of little files! Wow! Sony Vegas & CD Architect has been able to do that for the past 10 years. And they're proud of that now? Like I said, I found aspects of the AES rather humorous. Sews how about an Apogee? But if you want Mike preamps? How many? Maybe I should go watch some Outer Limits reruns?

I am controlling vertical. I am controlling the horizontal. Whoops.
Mx. Remy Ann David

x

User login