Skip to main content

I'm trying to set up as goos a monitoring chain as possible since living in a condo I'm a bit restricted to limited speaker monitoring.

At the end of my analog outboard gear chain, my last compressor (TUBE TECHLCA 2B will be going into an ApogeeRosetta I just bought which will go into my Tascam DV RA-1OOO. I just got a Benchmark dac-1 connect to the Apogeesince the Apogeedoesn't have a headphone jack for my Sennheiser 650 but I'm getting confused...

I want to monitor my mix while creating the master both through the headphones and also be able to alternate with the Genelec 8020a monitors. Would I be monitoring the digital signal after the rosetta or will the Benchmark dac-1 ineffect cancel out the rosetta and instead give me the dac-1's sound instead of what's actuall going into the rosetta? Would I be listening to the digital signal of the rosetta or the analog signal of the benchmark thinking it's whats going to the rosetta. Hav I totally confused you? cause I'm confused. Please give me an idea if I'm on the right track or is using the rosetta and the benchmark redundant? I read many Apogeevs. Rosetta forums but none about them being used together yet the rosetta doesn't have headphone jacks.

I'd sure appreciate some clrification on this so I can move on to recording.

Comments

TrilliumSound Sat, 07/07/2007 - 12:52

I guess you are using the ADC of Tascam then. I did not hear it but you should use the Apogee (sound and/or flexibility) or at least make some tests for comparaison.

If you are using the Rosetta AD then you have to connect one channel of the DIGI Out from the Apogee to the IN DIGI into the Benchmark DAC. From the front panel, you can route any signal to any output. If you are using the Tascam AD converter and want to monitor the post analog chain (post Tascam), you can take the digi out from the Tascam into the Benchmark DAC. But again, try AD comparaisons with the Tascam and the Rosetta, they will definitely sound different.

Hope this helps.