Skip to main content

I hope someone can help me. I have the Roland BR1200CD and I bounced 8 tracks to the 11/12 track, and then I did a Master Tool Box mix down, burned a CD, and saved song when I turned off the machine.

I listened to the CD for a few days and decided I wanted to re-do the vocals. So I went in and re-did the vocals on the 5 and 6 tracks. I then went to bounce all 8 tracks again to track 11/12 so I could re-master it again, assuming the re-bounce would over-write what was bounced on 11/12 before. But it didn't, and I can't get it to cover it up with the new recording I'm trying to bounce. It keeps the previous recording.

So I turned off the bounce and just recorded over the 11/12 with its volume down. That worked, it was empty. But when I turned the bounce back on and tried to bounce all 8 tracks to 11/12 again, it still wouldn't do it, all I had was an empty track on 11/12.

I searched the manual and can't find any answer. Does anyone have this machine and know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Trisha

Topic Tags

Comments

jg49 Wed, 09/23/2009 - 12:22

Welcome Trisha, I do not own this unit but have owned several "digital studios", they are barely digital and certainly not studios and don't get me started on the convoluted work flow (depress buttons 1-11, while trying to read a 3" screen, and tap button 12, 3 times, do they know I only have ten fingers?) Just a little humor.
You followed the manual exactly for bouncing?
Depressed record several times until the bounce indicator is lit?
Depressed track 11/12 button and it is now flashing red?
You have green track lights on all tracks you are going to bounce?
You depressed REC then Play and BOTH lights lit up?
Your individual track sliders are up sufficiently and your master slider is in unity ( usually marked by a zero)?

The most common mistakes here are not depressing rec and play in the correct order, you gotta have two lights lit, and not having the master up. If it still does not work then there is likely some other routing set up that is sending your tracks to something like an effects loop that is turned down so no signal to the master bus (channel). During this process are you hearing the mix in your headphones?

anonymous Wed, 09/23/2009 - 13:32

hey yeah, I get you on the only 10 fingers.

You followed the manual exactly for bouncing?---check
Depressed record several times until the bounce indicator is lit?---check
Depressed track 11/12 button and it is now flashing red?----check
You have green track lights on all tracks you are going to bounce?-----check
You depressed REC then Play and BOTH lights lit up?----check
Your individual track sliders are up sufficiently and your master slider is in unity ( usually marked by a zero)? -----check

The most common mistakes here are not depressing rec and play in the correct order, you gotta have two lights lit, and not having the master up.

----- I pressed rec and then play and they both lit up, and the master was up as well.

During this process are you hearing the mix in your headphones?

-----I've been hearing the new mix of the 8 tracks as well as the old mix in 11/12 track... :evil:

and this is with the rec and play button lit up all the while!

then there is likely some other routing set up that is sending your tracks to something like an effects loop that is turned down so no signal to the master bus (channel).

------ :shock:

where do I first go to tweak?

thanks for the welcome and your help.
trisha

jg49 Wed, 09/23/2009 - 13:57

I guess I misread your OP I thouht you said you recorded over the track with the volume down and that it worked, it did not, so most likely the track was saved as "Locked" or "protected".
Depress utility
Highlight and depress song
Highlight protection NO
Protect OFF? YES/Enter
Should get a "Complete" or "Finished" screen
Be certain to save your song at this point as unprotected or after start up it will revert. God I hope thats it so many buttons to depress is depressing isn't it?

anonymous Wed, 09/23/2009 - 17:15

well... it didn't work.

when I pressed Protect, it said Protect On? and I pressed NO. So I guess it wasn't on anyway.

But I did go back and put Record on Input and pressed 11/12 track and then record, then play, and recorded over it, and it did leave the track empty. But, when I tried to bounce to it after that, it stayed empty. It just will not let me bounce to that track, empty or full, again!

So instead of taking this any further and wearing you down with ideas, and I appreciate your help so much, I'm just going to start over from keyboard to machine. The strings were too loud anyway, and the vocals needed to be just a bit more breathy and sultry (it's blues).

I'm just going for New Song and hang these tracks. :twisted:

Thanks again jg :wink: