Skip to main content

Man, I've been fighting a lot of gremlins in my studio since I stepped it up a notch but today I was actually able to open a Cubase project and start making things work. I finally got a chance to plugin the LA-610 that has been sitting there for a couple of months with little attention. I plugged my $300 Peavey bass into it and started messing with the eq and the compressor. A couple of minutes later I was just thinking to myself, "So that's how they do it!". The eq on that thing sounds soooo sweet. I dont know how they do it but it is amazingly sweet with a boost of 4.5 db at 200 hz. Between that and the compressor and then dropping the pick for a minute I realized that it has that same sweet tone that just seems to pop right out of the mix in so many songs I've heard. It reminds me of my bass player's live sound that he gets with his ampeg. Sweet sweet sweet! I hope I can figure out how to get more popular tones out of it but it'd almost be worth it just for this one. Just wanted to share my enthusiasm. Peace out

Topic Tags

Comments

Kev Sat, 05/03/2008 - 16:44

EricWatkins wrote: ...I was just thinking to myself, "So that's how they do it!"...

yep
that's part of it

EricWatkins wrote: ... I realized that it has that same sweet tone that just seems to pop right out of the mix in so many songs I've heard ...

now you're getting closer
knowing how to get the sound is about the way you play and the equipment you use and then HOW you use it and mix this sound in to the song

the BIG trick it is about knowing the sound you want BEFORE you hit record

a good song, good gear and then good instruments
make it much easier and all more enjoyable

good luck 8)

sshack Mon, 05/05/2008 - 06:05

On the internet a lot of people kind of beat this piece of gear up for one reason or another, so I was hesitant to purchase one but I took the plunge following my gut with what I was looking for in terms of sound and flexibility. I'm glad I did. It was a little tough to 'figure out' how to get what I wanted out of it, but now that I have, I'm very happy with it as well. I think it's a great piece for the money.

I'm with you on the EQ...that's what started to get me thinking that buying the matching EQ for my Great River would be a cool thing to have.

8-)

AudioGaff Tue, 05/20/2008 - 20:05

While I really like and prefer the 6176, I recently obtained an LA610 in a trade for services. I wasn't expecting to be blown away, and I wasn't, but it is a good sounding tool.

I often like the color I can get with the compressor enabled and the gain reduction set .5 or less, trying to keep the meter from moving. I may try to mod it do something so that the compressor is something that is much more usefull and desired.

x

User login