Skip to main content

For some years I have been using a Roland VS 2480 . All of the digital pieces in my control room are synced by a Lucid clock; all audio equipment in the studio is on Equitech balanced power. I'd like to think that I've given the Roland converters the best opportunity to do their job. I don't have any complaints.

Nevertheless, I have been thinking of changing platforms, and moving to one of the recording software packages; perhaps the Nuendo II that I own, but that could involve a hefty investment in a computer and A/D/D/A converters. So, I am also thinking of tracking with the Roland, and moving .wav files into the computer for mixing. This, of course, means that I continue using the Roland converters.

Does anyone have experience in having used VS2480 converters as well as converters from Apogee or Lynx (and a comparative opinion)? I trust that these stand-alone converters are terrific, but are they that much better than the Roland converters?

Thank you.

Comments

RemyRAD Fri, 11/07/2008 - 02:42

Sure, everything newer is better than anything older. Or is it? If you get a particular sound, that you enjoy, that others enjoy, there is no reason to change. If the change imparts a quality that you think enhances your overall product, go with the better converters. But how do you know? I still think some of my old recordings from my first-generation digital recorders still sounds good. Would it sound better had I had better converters? Probably? But that wouldn't have really improved the product. You've gone to the extent of an expensive balanced power distribution system. Most folks wouldn't bother with that (I have). But surely you've thought that device improved your quality of product? You're probably one of five people here that has one of those things. So what kind of garbage RU recording? I really think it's time to be this tall to ride this ride?

Balancing quality with power.
Ms. Remy Ann David

anonymous Fri, 11/07/2008 - 04:21

It's been a while since I've hung out at the forums, and I do appreciate your comments Remy. Your insights speak often to the issues at hand, and I agree with much of what you've written above.

I am happy with the quality of my recorded tracks, but is this like the steak I get at the local restaurant? I'm happy, but never know what a steak can be until I eat at Mortons? Are there others here who have eaten at both places?

Would you elaborate, please, upon your last statement/question?

x

User login