Skip to main content

Ryzen 3000 and Intel 10th gen for DAW Audio

Here is the latest batch of tests showing the current AMD vs. Intel chips for audio.

The Sound on Sound article is here:

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-a...el-cpus-tested

DSP Test Chart:

https://dt7v1i9vyp3mf.cloudfront.net...lQ.vZToBZg.jpg

VSTi Test Chart:

https://dt7v1i9vyp3mf.cloudfront.net...ktAKFb6was.jpg

Attached files

Comments

Tony Carpenter Thu, 08/13/2020 - 12:41

No matter how much performance they keep putting into those AMD chips no one in the serious computer business is taking them as mainstream. I just got my i9 10940x with 14 cores and with the ASUS motherboard bios tweaked I get like 12 microseconds latency over 15 min ( not on audio drivers) test along with 256GB of RAM I’m a happy chappy. The guy who sold me the build tried selling me ryzen. I was like, never will an AMD chip darken my doorstep again lol :).

kmetal Thu, 08/13/2020 - 14:23

Makzimia, post: 465209, member: 48344 wrote: No matter how much performance they keep putting into those AMD chips no one in the serious computer business is taking them as mainstream. I just got my i9 10940x with 14 cores and with the ASUS motherboard bios tweaked I get like 12nanoseconds latency over 15 min test along with 256GB of RAM I’m a happy chappy. The guy who sold me the build tried selling me ryzen. I was like, never will an AMD chip darken my doorstep again lol :).

Cool you got your new pc in. When you say 12 nanoseconds latency what is that? Is that round trip audio latency??

Also curious what kind of dent your heavier audio sessions are making in your beast!?

I know you got scarred by AMD, but.... Google and Amazon are what i would consider "serious" in the computer industry, and both are using AMD in their servers. Blur studios used 3rd gen threadripper in the new Terminator movie, a Hollywood staple franchise film. I think this qualifies as serious users, and shows that AMD is indeed not just a "value" option, but a performance contender core for core.

Not everyone would care that the 3950x is both 30% cheaper, and 28% better in the dsp tests at low latency (compared to 10940x). Maybe they have no need for pcie 4.0. Or perhaps they feel the 2x ram capacity of the x299 platform is worth the added expense of cpu and motherboard, relative to Ryzen.

Its certainly not on size fits all. But it is undeniable that Ryzen is a true contender and no longer a product that is compromised.

The 3950x is 47% cheaper than the 10980xe, has 2 less cores, and scores 21% better in the 64 sample buffer dsp test. This is truly impressive. The 64 sample buffer test leaves the 10980x ahead by 4% in vsti count, and 18% ahead at 128 samples which is its bigger lead in the entire test.

To me thats really important since ryzen typically could not compete core for core, which is it now doing. Its also sured up its weaker performance in VSTi tests.

With intel losing its Mac-opoly, there is serious pressure to improve its product. The recently annouced delay of 7nm till early 2023, they have some real ground to cover.

With Ryzen 4th gen still on track for 2020 release, we should see some even further gaps between the two companies.

If protools doesn't play nice with ARM, the commercial audio industry might see alot more hackintosh or pc based rigs, instead of Macs.

Either way we win as long as things stay competitive.

Tony Carpenter Thu, 08/13/2020 - 21:30

@kmetal Hi Kyle, when I speak mainstream I mean the likes of HPE. There is no denying that AMD are trying to up there game in a serious way, but that little niggle of not being 100% compatible with Intels assembly code is still there. That being said, who knows if that’s going to continue to matter down the track.

Both google and Amazon run a version of Linux btw.

My results on latency mon were part of the tests that Scan PC UK does once the bios has been tweaked for audio. I have no idea yet how that’s going to translate along with the Studio Live Series 3.

I made the mistake of cheaping out on my monitor (sort of) got a ilyama 32inch IPS and it had dead pixels on arrival. I was only as far as installing Studio One Pro and some of my plugins. Sent back waiting on RMA.

Keep in mind my PC is going to do double duty as a gaming rig. What I did do is a dB test result below!.

At 2 feet from case.

Temporary location while testing and while damp proofing being done.

audiokid Fri, 08/14/2020 - 09:40

Makzimia, post: 465213, member: 48344 wrote: @kmetal Hi Kyle, when I speak mainstream I mean the likes of HPE. There is no denying that AMD are trying to up there game in a serious way, but that little niggle of not being 100% compatible with Intels assembly code is still there. That being said, who knows if that’s going to continue to matter down the track.

Both google and Amazon run a version of Linux btw.

My results on latency mon were part of the tests that Scan PC UK does once the bios has been tweaked for audio. I have no idea yet how that’s going to translate along with the Studio Live Series 3.

I made the mistake of cheaping out on my monitor (sort of) got a ilyama 32inch IPS and it had dead pixels on arrival. I was only as far as installing Studio One Pro and some of my plugins. Sent back waiting on RMA.

Keep in mind my PC is going to do double duty as a gaming rig. What I did do is a dB test result below!.

At 2 feet from case.

Temporary location while testing and while damp proofing being done.

Nice looking beast!

Tony Carpenter Fri, 08/14/2020 - 10:09

paulears, post: 465214, member: 47782 wrote: Millisecond latency hovers around 6ms for me to be happy. Nanosecond latency surely is science fiction?

Paul, not audio interface speeds I’m talking about, that would be science fiction :). This is OS/Hardware internal processing?. You get the readings using latency monitor.

I’m a twit, that’s in microseconds the readings. I’m hopeless at mathematical symbols...

Not audio interface reading though. It checks if you can do audio processing reliably at various rates for a certain amount of time I guess?.

kmetal Fri, 08/14/2020 - 14:42

Makzimia, post: 465213, member: 48344 wrote: @kmetal Hi Kyle, when I speak mainstream I mean the likes of HPE. There is no denying that AMD are trying to up there game in a serious way, but that little niggle of not being 100% compatible with Intels assembly code is still there. That being said, who knows if that’s going to continue to matter down the track.

Both google and Amazon run a version of Linux btw.

My results on latency mon were part of the tests that Scan PC UK does once the bios has been tweaked for audio. I have no idea yet how that’s going to translate along with the Studio Live Series 3.

I made the mistake of cheaping out on my monitor (sort of) got a ilyama 32inch IPS and it had dead pixels on arrival. I was only as far as installing Studio One Pro and some of my plugins. Sent back waiting on RMA.

Keep in mind my PC is going to do double duty as a gaming rig. What I did do is a dB test result below!.

At 2 feet from case.

Temporary location while testing and while damp proofing being done.

Looking nice and quiet. Gaming frame rates are getting insane 200+ fps! That's crazy. Film is what 29 fps?

I wish samplitude was Linux compatible, its the only thing keeping me away from it.

One thing is for sure, bad reputations are tough to shake. AMD is certainly experiencing that. Look at how much hate avid has from 15+ year old bad user experiences.

Jaquire King said in a podcast he's been using Luna, during the quarantine and his mixes are coming together with way less effort than PT. Vance Powell echo'd the sentiment.

Im glad people are wising up to a daws own "sound".

paulears, post: 465214, member: 47782 wrote: Millisecond latency hovers around 6ms for me to be happy. Nanosecond latency surely is science fiction?

I think the latency Tony is referring to is DPC latency. I don't know much about it, but its brought up a fair amount on the gs diy pc build thread.

With avid having .7 ms on their current hdx systems, sub milisecond latency might be not be science fiction for too much longer!

The presonus quantum is the lowest latency TB device 1.9ms, so presonus knows what they are doing with audio drivers. It will be interesting to see what kinda numbers Tony's new rig posts.

kmetal Sun, 08/16/2020 - 09:52

Makzimia, post: 465220, member: 48344 wrote: @kmetal Thank you Kyle, I feel stupid forgetting what that was, but in my defence having used a Mac exclusively for a long time I had forgotten what DPC latency was about :). Scan PC did a very thorough set of tests on my machine and provided all of them to me in a folder.

Tony

Excellent!

Tags

x

Register