Skip to main content

After searching through the forums, I think I've narrowed it down to 2 choises the Sebatron VMP4000e or API 3124+.

My current pres are the 4 on the Digi 002 and 8 PreSonus Digimax (via light pipe)

I'd like some feedback to help me decide my purchase. Compare, Contrast, where does one exceed in an application whil the other is lack luster. Whuch is better for all-around use? Flexibility?

Another question are the power supplies on these units internal or external?

Topic Tags

Comments

KurtFoster Wed, 02/16/2005 - 15:05

J-3 wrote: API all the way. I havn't heard the Seb stuff and only hear about it on this forum. Untill I hear it myself or see some real "big boys" talking it up I'm skeptical. API on the other hand is the real shit and is badass. My 2 cents.

Sebatron offers one of the absolute best quality mic pre values on the planet. All that one needs to do is to look at the topology of a Sebatron to know we're talking the highest quality here. I have to question why someone would diss the thing without hearing it?

I have made real records ... run a check at AllMusic and see for yourself .. The thing about "the big boys" only shows how caught up some people are in the whole "culture of celebrity" in the USA. Just because these people are "famous" doesn't mean they are honest or even really know what they are talking about.

Part of the reason you only hear about the Sebatrons here, is the other forums are mostly controlled directly through out and out ownership, or indirectly through advertising, by either manufacturers or dealers who are afraid of Sebatron getting a market share. At RO our primary editorial policy is to give all good gear a fair shot at publicity, regardless if they advertise with us or not ... in fact, I have been in a couple of major flame topics, because I dissed product of RO advertisers ..

PSW is run by Fletcher who owns Mercenary ... who has repeatedly demonstrated he will slam great gear he doesn't carry (like Millennia) and push crap stuff he does sell (like the RNP) ... hardly objective and probably not the best person to ask gear purchase advice of.

I would also add there has not been one instance of a person buying a Sebatron pre and not liking it that I have come across in over 2 years.. Everyone who has bought one has loved it ... some have even come back for more.

I don't slam APIs at all, in fact I love them ... I just can't afford them ... but I don't think comments on gear you know nothing about are very helpful either.

I have posted [[url=http://[/URL]="http://www.nowherer…"]mp3 clips[/]="http://www.nowherer…"]mp3 clips[/] of the Sebatron in action and if anyone wants wave files I will send them a CDR for the shipping and handling .. You can contact me via PM .

KurtFoster Wed, 02/16/2005 - 16:32

I can't make that call .. you have to. It depends on what you want to record for one ...

Doing acoustic guitar and vocal recordings? The Seb will do very well for that ... take a listen to [[url=http://[/URL]="http://www.nowherer…"]this[/]="http://www.nowherer…"]this[/]

It can depend on what mics you have as well .. Do you have a tube LD mic that's kind of dark sounding? The API may compliment it better .. sometimes 2 tubes can be a bit much. But for a U87 the Sebatron is glorious!

If you are doing a lot of heavy music .. like metal and rock, the APIs may be "that' sound you are seeking ... they are very aggressive sounding.

The Sebatron VMP -4000e is much more affordable than the API 3124+ but the API has a mix bus that can be useful at times.

From a totally common sense approach, the Seb costs less .. go for that .. If you hate it, (no one I know of has yet) re sell it and get the API ..

AudioGaff Wed, 02/16/2005 - 18:48

Haven't heard the Seb stuff, Don't have too. I have heard a very vast selection of top notch gear over the years, and it is unlikely that the Seb is that much different or any better. I'm sure it is real good stuff, but no matter how good it is, I would still pick the API when choosing between them because nothing else sounds like the API. And I really like the API...

LittleDogAudio Wed, 02/16/2005 - 20:03

The Seb and the API are two totally different beasts.
They would be considered complimentory to each other rather than a choice between the two.

That being said, I would lean hard towards the API. I have 8 channels of them and always find a good application on almost every session.

I can't think of a better drum mic pre than API.

Chris

stickers Wed, 02/16/2005 - 21:16

btw, I'm just kind of window shopping right now. I want to concentrate on improving my recording techniques and also wait till I have more business to justify the purchase.

On another note, I've spent the last 2 days reading about mic techniques and the importance of getting it right the first time and not to fix it in the mix, sort of a refresher for me but still its worth the time to refresh.

THIS FORUM IS GREAT!

J-3 Wed, 02/16/2005 - 21:19

I knew that would pee in someones Cherio's. I can see where your coming from Kurt and for all I know the Seb stuff is great. It's just my nature I guess to be a little skeptical when laying out any amount of cash. I DO know that FLetcher and pretty much all others I've talked to hock thier stuff and diss the stuff they don't carry. They are business men as we both know and that's the name of the game. ( I have wondered however why Fletcher, Atlas, Etc dont sell Seb.....hey Seb care to shed a light on that?)
UA, Neve, API, Manley etc are names that are very well respeted in the profession. While one of these may not "speak" to some people I don't think anyone would say they make less than great performing gear. The Seb could possibly blow the doors off of all the aformentioned pieces but it's just not a staple in the industy. Yet. OR it could suck. I don't know I havn't heard it. I'm planning on giving one a try in the future when I'm searching for a tube pre. Oh...and yes I know you know what your talking about and if you wanna get into a discography and who we've recorded etc we can but screw all that. Let's just make music.

Every liar is a cannible, every artist is a thief......