Skip to main content

I received my Sennheiser e906 today and I must admit that i am surprised at how cheap it feels. I have not had a chance to use it and I am fairly sure I will be satifsied with the sound, but It will never go near a drummer as is recommended in the manual. If you are rough with equipment this might not be the mic for you. I just dont think the plastic used on the mic would stand up to much. But with all that said I cant wait to stick it in front of a guitar cab.

Anybody else feel this way or am I alone?

Comments

Cucco Fri, 01/25/2008 - 17:50

The 47 can be yours....if the price is right.

Tell me, am I the only one that hits up yard sales and flea markets hoping to find the bonehead that doesn't realize that he's selling an Ela M251 or a u47??

Still haven't found it.

I've found some other things- old reel-to-reels (including a Nagra for $25) and old Shures...never the elusive gold-mine.

Davedog Fri, 01/25/2008 - 18:04

I had a friend who hit it twice.

Once was a yardsale in the midwest. They had an old blackface Deluxe sitting in a rocker. 15.00 taped to it. "It dont work anymore...." "Grandpa used to play it all the time at barn dances and such, but since he passed its just been sittin......" I'll give ya ten for it"...."Sold"...."Say you wouldnt be interested in his old git-tar wouldya? Its in a case unner the bed...I dont think its got no strings on it"....."Well I'll have a look"

Yeah.....1957 Strat. Two-tone burst...ALL original. LiteBrown tweed case witha good condition handle. Hunnerd Bucks.

Hes still got it. Last I heard. He played it for about a year and then put it away.

Then theres the garage sale in Utah. Guy had some old mics and stuff and an old guitar. Guitar was a 1953 L5. Beat to shit! Played like an old friend. Mics were two Sony C38's, a KM84, two Shure 55's, and a very old RCA ribbon. 200 for the guitar and 55 for the mics......I paid him 300 for the KM84. It sounded great but had moisture issues a lot. Got my money back.

I bought a 61 SG LesPaul Model at a mom and pop store/pawn shop in Kansas for 175. Bought two L series Strats from them for 125 and 160.

It'll never happen again.....not with the innernet.

bent Fri, 01/25/2008 - 18:20

Beat this one:

I can't really say where I bought them, but years ago I picked up two DBX 163X's in perfect condition. When I went to pay, the guy looks at me and asks "What's them things used fer?". I replied "I dunno, but I sure could use the resistors and stuff inside 'em for other things."
He looks at them again and says "5 dollars".
I say "Each?"
He says "No, for both".
Hehe, two DBX 163's for $2.50 a piece!
Not the greatest comps (and no, they aren't hot), but I know exactly where they came from - a little feeling of nostalgia.

They now collect dust at RC. I'm not sure if any of us have even turned them on in the past 5 years...

sshack Mon, 01/28/2008 - 08:37

My mothers new husband had a 'beat up' guitar that was given to him new as a kid. The neck was disjointed from the body. I saw it and offered to buy it for a fair price....I couldn't lie to him about it's worth though, that's just not how I am. Anyway, it's a '62 SG Jr. all original. I gave him a grand for it. My guitar guy set the neck back...as good if not better than Gibson ever could. So now I have $1200 in a REAL vintage guitar.

Not to derail the topic at hand...I just bought a 906 as well and I too was surprised at its apparent quality, and size (I thought it'd be a little bigger).
It does however sound pretty nice in front of my guitar cab. I've not fully explored it by any means, but so far it's a whole different approach than the SM57 I've been hanging with.

The other mic that has put a smile on my face is the Audix i5.

Someday though (when I get good at this recording thing) I will have a 409.