Skip to main content

so ive started a home studio and a friend also records. He suggested i get a BEHIRNGER ADA8000
ive read reviews and people say good and bad things. I just wanted to know if there was an equal equuivilent to the ADA8000

thanks

Comments

Guitarfreak Mon, 05/04/2009 - 08:41

You didn't say that in your original post. If you want to add more channels, then buy another IO26. If you buy a cheap face just to get more channels then they won't sound as good as our Alesis channels and why would you want to have 8 good channels and 8 bad channels? Go ahead and purchase your Behringer product. You have been sufficiently warned.

RemyRAD Mon, 05/04/2009 - 11:12

Beringer products are not horrible. His ethics might be questionable. His affordable entry-level equipment works well, sounds reasonable. Mostly cannot be repaired due to surfacemount technology which is true of most things today. Surfacemount repair requires specialty equipment & steady hands. Not meant for alcoholics with the DT's. That won't work. Or is that can't or shouldn't? Because it's available at such a low & affordable price point, it's mostly considered disposable equipment when things go wrong. Servicing Beringer equipment costs more than its replacement generally speaking. Completely opposite of the increasingly popular "Smart Car" which costs over $20,000 US. How Smart is that? Shouldn't a Smart car cost around $5,000? Now that would be smart. But giving you one fourth the car for 4 times the price doesn't sound smart to me. Being in an accident in a smart car would be the dumbest thing that could happen to you or the car. So not sure how that "Smart" moniker came to be? I thought the Chevrolet Corvair was smarter? Ralph Nader didn't think so. I haven't heard him say anything about the smart car? Maybe he owns one? And he ain't talkin' 'bout dat.

Smart is as Smart thinks.
Ms. Remy Ann David

cfaalm Mon, 05/04/2009 - 12:10

There are lots of alternatives for the ADA8000. I am not promoting the shop here, but they have a nice list [[url=http://[/URL]="http://www.sweetwat…"]here.[/]="http://www.sweetwat…"]here.[/]

None of them are as cheap as the ADA8000. Not all of them qualify for augmenting your number of i/o channels.

If I were to buy another set of preamps I'd be looking for something to surpass the quality of what I already have. The ADA8000 will not do that for you, even though the unit is not bad. If your budget is tight, see if you can hold off the investment until you save enough for a better unit. How many inputs do you really need given the fact that you already have the Alesis?

dvdhawk Mon, 05/04/2009 - 16:40

RemyRAD wrote: Beringer products are not horrible.

I'm sorry Remy, but I will have to respectfully disagree. I'm sure you don't care what I think, but I find it hard to believe that someone with your bona fides would tolerate such a noisy piece of equipment in your signal path - no matter whose name is on it. I can't imagine you using one with a smile on your face, unless you use it chock the tires of your truckload of A-list gear.

I've had the misfortune of dealing with several of their mixers in the last few months, from a simple 6-channel to the craptacular 32-ch. Each one was a just a fancy white noise generator with hideous pres and virtually useless EQ. The little one was barely up to the task of mixing e-drums for a drummer's headphone mix. The big one was as pretty as they come, all nice shiny brushed metal, but practically useless for mixing a relatively quiet 4-pc. rock band live.

Naturally at that price point you expect some trade-offs, but this is borderline larceny. Honestly, I feel like they are actually over-priced for all the more value you get. Maybe there's a good one out there somewhere, but I've yet to hear it. When I see them advertise "ultra low noise" pres and 'british -eq' I have to laugh. There's obviously no British anti-defamation league.

I await

Boswell Tue, 05/05/2009 - 02:52

The B company produces a wide range of products, a few of which happen to be reasonable value for what they pretend to do. The ECM8000 measurement microphone and the ADA8000 interface are two examples.

The ADA8000 has a higher noise floor and lower headroom than most other 8-channel interfaces, but as an expansion for an Alesis IO|26, it's a reasonable choice if cost is an important factor.

Codemonkey Tue, 05/05/2009 - 08:18

I see what Remy gets at.

I've you get handed a bag of Behringer gear and are told to record something, well that's tough. Record.
It'll sound like ass but for the duration it works for, great. You can get the job done.
Somewhat like me and my soundblaster...

That said, given the choice between Behringer and almost anything else, I'd go with almost anything else.