Skip to main content

for years i've used three JBL 4412 speakers across the front and two JBL 4410's for surround. i've always been very happy with this setup. now, however, i'm in a slightly smaller space and can't position the 4410's correctly for surround. there just isn't enough wall space for a proper mounting. i need something a bit smaller. do i need to replace the entire setup, or can i just get a smaller pair of something for the surrounds? i've never used a sub in this setup so i'm a little leery of going too small and throwing the surrounds too far out of balance with the front. thoughts? recommendations? these are all passive speakers powered by three hafler amps.

thanks for any help,
BabaG

Comments

Boswell Sat, 05/17/2014 - 15:22

It's likely you can go for the smaller rear speakers, but be careful how they are ported - you can't easily hang a rear-ported speaker on a wall.

Depending on the flexibility of your surround generation hardware, you may be able to send all LF audio that would have gone to a sub to the front pair and not to the rear. LF is not particularly directional until you get low enough in frequency to need butt-shakers.