Skip to main content

I've always loved this song. This latest version uses many microphones as seen in the video. The one Jimmy Somerville is singing into looks very old. I'd like to know what type it is.

Comments

DonnyThompson Wed, 02/18/2015 - 03:34

Roxy's More Than This and Love Is The Drug were both staples on our set lists, back in my club touring-band days, from Texas to Montreal, Los Angeles to the Florida Keys...

On a related note, I love the sound of More Than This. Sonically, I think it's a great recording, smooth, airy, and warm. Ferry's voice is unique and (obviously) records very nicely.

Avalon is a great album. 1982... man, what a year... I had a great time... or at least I've been told that I had a great time. ;)

d.

anonymous Wed, 02/18/2015 - 09:50

Look at that mic, man has that seen its days! Is that an old Telefunken?
Raw talent there. I respect anyone that takes a song like that and puts it into a club mix. Thats part of what this business is about. We record talent but smart people learn how to sell it.

When I hear people playing a guitar, singing some song with a piano like this, my head is always thinking about how it would sound produced in different genre's.

I loved Bronski Beat. Most of my musical friends hate that stuff. Its why I left their dark pit and went off on my own at 20 years old to discover the music business.t wasn't just about me.
I've played some wonderful clubs and watched beautiful women dancing to their beat. When I listen to them, I'm hearing how smart they are and how they took a good song to the clubs. They mixed it for the market.

anonymous Wed, 02/18/2015 - 14:50

AndyB, post: 425248, member: 48584 wrote: The ear phones the piano player is wearing and the ear buds Jimmy is wearing, what is it they hear mostly, the entire sound or primarily their own sound?

This is totally subjective to what each artist needs but its also subjective to how proficient the studio cue monitoring system is as well. Some studios have less options available , some have much more "one on one" basis.
Basically, whomever is in the control room would be feeding a mix that Jimmy wants. It could be a nice blend of what we are hearing now in the video or maybe just his voice with or without reverb. The goal of the recording engineer is to do whatever helps capture the best performance possible.

x

User login