Skip to main content

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, January 2015... PreSonus® is pleased to announce two new StudioLive AI Mix Systems that deliver large-format channel counts, recording, powerful DSP, and more for under $7,000. Available in 48- and 64-channel frame sizes, StudioLive AI Mix Systems consists of two cascaded StudioLive AI consoles, a joining bracket that locks the two mixers together, a PreSonus PRM1 Precision Reference Microphone, and a custom dust cover.

StudioLive AI Mix Systems perform as a cohesive mixer and offer a familiar, surface-driven workflow with one-to-one control over every parameter. Every channel is routed through the bus outputs of the Master mixer and every global setting is controlled from the Master to provide seamless integration between the two cascaded consoles. All the power and performance available to a single StudioLive AI mixer are available to cascaded StudioLive AI Mix Systems.

Each StudioLive AI Mix System provides a robust audio interface, making it easy to record and playback audio as well as to use your favorite plugins as inserts on any of channel. Connect each mixer to a wireless router with a standard Ethernet cable and you're ready to remote control your StudioLive AI Mix System from an iPad or iPhone or go wireless using the included USB WiFi LAN adapters.

The StudioLive 64AI Mix System cascades two StudioLive 32.4.2AI mixers to create a 64-channel system with 80 x 66, continuously bidirectional FireWire 800 recording interface; 26 mix buses, including 8 effects buses (for 4 reverb and 4 delay processors), and a whopping 558 discrete EQ and dynamics processors. This feature-rich, 64-channel mixing system is a fraction of the size, weight, and price of a conventional large-format digital console yet offers features no console anywhere near its price class can match.

The StudioLive 48AI Mix System consists of two cascaded StudioLive 24.4.2AI mixers, giving you a 48-channel console with an onboard 64 x 50 FireWire 800 recording interface; 22 total mix buses, including 8 effects buses; and DSP processing on every channel and bus for a total of 438 EQ and dynamics processors.

Like every StudioLive AI mixer, the StudioLive 64AI and 48AI Mix System include the StudioLive Software Library. The library includes PreSonus' Capture™ live recording software, Studio One® Artist DAW, VSL-AI with Smaart Measurement Technology™ for Mac® and Windows®, SL Remote-AI for iPad®, and QMix™-AI for iPhone®/iPod® touch, plus a free account with PreSonus' Nimbit®online direct-to-fan marketing and distribution service.

PreSonus StudioLive 64AI and 48AI Mix Systems are available immediately, with an expected street price of $6,999.95 and $5,499.95, respectively.

Attached files

Comments

anonymous Thu, 01/22/2015 - 01:37

That's quite intriguing... would you mix through it? Or just track through it? Seems like a bit of overkill to use it only to track through.

I'm trying to recall the number of projects I did that required more than 16 - 20 tracks at one time... there were a few, but not many.

Typical "Rock" session:

Kick, Snare, HH, R1, R2, R3, Flr1, OH's, and we'll also throw in an ambiant room mic for fun = 10
Guitar amp 1, guitar 1 DI, Guitar amp 2, Guitar 2 DI = 4
Bass amp, Bass DI = 2
Keys/Synth/B3 = 4
Piano, 2
Lead Voc, 1
Back Vox, 3
And for fun we'll throw in a horn section, and call it 4 mics.

Total is 30, and that's being fairly liberal on mic/track counts.

So, yes... looking at it with the scenario above, it would be beneficial to track through.

Orchestral? Without a doubt.

But... maybe overkill for a three/four piece jazz band, or punk, or rock or metal. Certainly too much gun for acoustic solo/duo/trio, although that probably didn't stop artists like James Taylor or America from using a high channel count Neve or SSL, either, right? ... LOL

But, the price is very attractive, and the StudioLive mixers do sound very good (XMax Pre's, Fat Channel Processing, good converters)

So, I'll ask again... would you use it to mix as well?
:)

audiokid Thu, 01/22/2015 - 07:24

DonnyThompson, post: 424029, member: 46114 wrote: would you mix through it? Or just track through it? Seems like a bit of overkill to use it only to track through.

Tracking or live.
If it was live, I would be mixing through it. I can't imagine needing this many channels though. One is enough for me.

DonnyThompson, post: 424029, member: 46114 wrote: So, I'll ask again... would you use it to mix as well?

Only live. DAW works better for mixing an summing.

dvdhawk Thu, 01/22/2015 - 07:26

You're right Donny, 64 would certainly be overkill for most of us for recording purposes. But don't forget, they're equally at home at a live sound gig / installation.

I've got a church client using 70 channels of analog A-H - that they bought before we met. (every channel occupied).
I've got another church who bought 2 of the original SL24.4.2s and linked them together in the same fashion to make a seamless 48.
A modern church can really run the channel tally up. Take all those channels for the band then add choir mics, wireless headsets for dramatic presentations, CD and Computer inputs.

I mixed a whodunnit style play last year at a local high school with a StudioLive. There were 20+ actors who never left the stage for the duration. The only person who ever left was the victim who was knocked off in the first 5 minutes and dragged off-stage. The dialog was fast paced and peppered with ad libs and random interjections and screams from the cast of party guests, plus I'm responsible for firing sound effects on cue. I tried struggling through a couple rehearsals with the in-house analog Soundcraft and finally broke down and took my own SL24. Having all those expanders/gates available was a life-saver, compared to leaving 22 wireless lapel and headset mics (of varying quality) wide open for 2 hours. Between that and compressing / limiting the screamers, it made the mixing just shy of auto-pilot - and left me to concentrate on SFX.