Skip to main content

I need a two channel preamp that doubles as an outboard compressor to finish off mixes.

After a lengthy conversation at my local audio shop, these were selected. They are quite "apples to oranges", but still.

I don't have any serious tube gear yet, so I'm inclined towards the C-1, but could probably not afford it. Another suggestion was a Focusrite platinum similar thing.

Comments

saemskin Thu, 03/02/2006 - 05:14

baadc0de wrote: I need a two channel preamp that doubles as an outboard compressor to finish off mixes.

After a lengthy conversation at my local audio shop, these were selected. They are quite "apples to oranges", but still.

I don't have any serious tube gear yet, so I'm inclined towards the C-1, but could probably not afford it. Another suggestion was a Focusrite platinum similar thing.

If you are looking for an outboard compressor the FF Platinum is worse than any free vst compressor on the market. Shiny junk.

The C1 on the other hand can be found used for not much more than a TwinTrak Pro and is at least a 10x better unit in all respects.

moonbaby Thu, 03/02/2006 - 07:08

I have owned TLA and Platinum gear in the past. I have posted warnings on this forum regarding bad experiences with both manufacturers. I won't bore you with the details, but the Platinum Series is not professional quality gear. Period. It looks good, very sexy at its price point. That is all.
I have used a Focusrite Red 7 many many times. The Platinum is riding on its coat-tails. You would be better off spending your $$$ on a FMR Really Nice Compressor.
Now to the TLA. Inexpensive "hybrid tube" gear is tricky. That's what Tony makes, and has made under different brand names for several years. My experience was not good, but there are certainly TLA fans out there, so I would say that it's a "flip of the coin" as to how you make out with it. Once again...RNC!
And then there's Mr. Toft...I own an ATC-2. The mic pre is OK, the EQ is awesome,love the VU meters, but the damned compressor is REAL twitchy! It certainly has its uses, but usually when you want to go "over-the-top". For subtle dynamics control and transparency, I'd look elsewhere. Can you say, "RNC"? Or UREI ?

Jim "I Want a Toft With a VU" Mooney

x

User login