Skip to main content

Often people talk about the differences between the 1272 and the 1073, minus the 3rd gainstage..

I am told that the old difference between the Vintech 1272 and the Vintech X-73 preamp is a capacitor on the gain stage, and that it is a small upgrade cost.

I have heard the Vintech X-73 and must say I was really impressed by it and wanted one, but would'nt find enough use out of an EQ like that to justify its price.

Has anyone bought a Vintech 1272 w/ the x-73's cap on the gain stage to give that different tone?

If it can be done, it's next on my list. Just got my 4-pack of API goodness.

ps - aint it crazy that everyone here has APIs and knows what they are all about - I'n my parts most don't know about APIs until they are done.

Comments

coldsnow Mon, 12/03/2001 - 17:11

They will put the cap on for next to nothing. You can get one channle with and one without also if you want which would give you two slightly different options. The third gain stage only kicks in after 50 db of gain. So up to that point it's exactly the same with the extra cap. I don't think you would miss the extra gain.

mixfactory Mon, 12/03/2001 - 19:48

The X73 and the 1073 do sound different(I work with both extensively). The 1073 too my ears is thicker than the X73(or like I call it Neve "lite"). Its like the difference between "beer and "lite beer", they both have a purpose but you choose according to your preference. I would not sell my 1073's just to buy Vintech's(I know people that have I think they are crazy). If you want a Neve but the Eq isn't important than buy a 1066, its a little cheaper than a 1073. I know the literature says they are the same up to 50db, but they do sound different.

mixfactory Mon, 12/03/2001 - 19:49

The X73 and the 1073 do sound different(I work with both extensively). The 1073 too my ears is thicker than the X73(or like I call it Neve "lite"). Its like the difference between "beer and "lite beer", they both have a purpose but you choose according to your preference. I would not sell my 1073's just to buy Vintech's(I know people that have I think they are crazy). If you want a Neve but the Eq isn't important than buy a 1066, its a little cheaper than a 1073. I know the literature says they are the same up to 50db, but they do sound different.