Skip to main content

I've been using an AT4040 for years and then all of a sudden yesterday it started giving me this really weird and loud static. I tried swapping out the cable, but still the same result. I tried another condensor and that one worked fine through the same cable, pre and interface.

Here is a recording: http://lyndonfroese.com/static.mp3

Any ideas?

Comments

MarkF48 Thu, 10/02/2014 - 16:53

May or may not help, but try placing the mic in a zip lock plastic bag overnight with some desiccant packs. If your environment has dampness in the air, some may have settled onto the capsule and causing some electrical leakage that presents itself as the noise you hear. If you don't have any desiccant packs, substituting with some dry rice in a stocking will pull moisture out of the mic also.

moonbaby Fri, 10/03/2014 - 11:00

That problem is always a problem here in the South. Besides the above suggestions, I have used a hairdryer on "low heat" to de-humidify mics. Just be careful to keep the air moving and don't concentrate it on the capsule. I was told by an AKG tech rep many years ago when I had this problem with a pair of C452's that the humidity was affecting the FET's in the active circuitry. This might be why dynamics don't ship with dessicant...no active electronics in them.
I have a few 40-series LDC's never have had a problem with that. And , yes, they did ship with the dessicant packs...