Skip to main content

I'd like to get a decent 2.1 monitoring setup for my home theater in the living room. In the studio, I use K+H O300D's and I think they are awesome. I know the K+H's are far more expensive than the 2.1 setups listed below, but I'd like to know which one of these 2.1 setups are most similar to the K+H's overall neutral/accurate sound:

Tannoy Reveal 5A + TS8 or TS10 sub

Yamaha HS80M or HS50M + HS10W sub

JBL LSR2328P or LSR2325P + LSR2310SP sub

Event ALP5 + S100 sub

KRK RP8/6/4 G2 or KRK VXT8/6/4 + RP10 sub

I can't audition any of them since I'm in a crappy city in China. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Tannoys and JBL's based on various magazine reviews, and although I've heard some of the Yamaha, KRK, and Event monitors in the past, I don't remember exactly what I thought of each model, since back then I was really shopping for high-end monitors. Your thoughts?

Comments

Cucco Tue, 01/05/2010 - 06:33

So, are you going to be monitoring on them or using them for home theater? I think if you use any of these in a decent size room as home theater speakers, you're not going to be very happy.

Also, what's your budget? Most of what you list up there can be had for around $1000 to $1500. Have you considered a full-range speaker such as the NHT classic 4 (which can be had for around $1500 brand new - at least in the states.) Also, it might be worth checking out Audiogon. They have some sellers from Hong Kong and other areas close to China (I don't recall ever having seen any Chinese sellers on there, but I know there's some restrictions with selling sites in China.)

Cheers and best of luck,
J.

Lunatique Tue, 01/05/2010 - 07:00

Cucco wrote: So, are you going to be monitoring on them or using them for home theater? I think if you use any of these in a decent size room as home theater speakers, you're not going to be very happy.

Also, what's your budget? Most of what you list up there can be had for around $1000 to $1500. Have you considered a full-range speaker such as the NHT classic 4 (which can be had for around $1500 brand new - at least in the states.) Also, it might be worth checking out Audiogon. They have some sellers from Hong Kong and other areas close to China (I don't recall ever having seen any Chinese sellers on there, but I know there's some restrictions with selling sites in China.)

Cheers and best of luck,
J.

I'm mostly going to use them for home theater in our living room, but I might also sometimes use them as my second-reference monitors to see how the K+H translates to a cheaper setup (and of course also on computer speakers, boomboxes...etc). But mostly it's for home theater. We don't go crazy loud when we watch movies--I think 85db is about perfect.

I'd like to stay around $1,000 if possible, give or take a few hundred. All of those setups listed above fit that profile. Also it has to be something I can buy directly in China, as that would make things easier. I use a web-retail site that's the most popular in China right now (taobao.com), and if I can't find it searching taobao, then I know it's not available in China.