Skip to main content

Okay, I have a P42Ghz with 512Mgs of ram running a Whizpro BIOS Ver. 1.01 dated 04/02/02 and have installed Windows 2000 Professional. I tried to follow Opus' optimization guide, but to be honest, I never saw the initial screen prompt saying hit F6 to add any third party SCSI devices and drivers, so I couldn't follow his directions and hit F5 at that time to select "Standard PC". My BIOS Power Management now provides three choices - ACPI & APM, APM, or Disabled. The system will not work on any of the settings other than ACPI & APM and ACPI should be avoided according to Opus and others.

Did I screw up? Could it be possible that I never received the prompt? Is there a work around, or do I need to wipe my disk and do another clean install?

Help!

Topic Tags

Comments

lambchop Tue, 06/10/2003 - 12:27

Okay, so maybe I'm anal or a neophyte or something. I see that I can change from ACPI to Standard PC within the operating system through My Computer/Properties/Hardware/Device Manager/Computer/ACPI/Driver/Update Driver.

I guess this will solve the problem. Sorry, to take up everyone's time. Just trying to get my system up and running so I can make music again.

Fozz Wed, 06/11/2003 - 04:58

Lambchop,

When I first installed windows 2000 I had to do it a few times before I was finally able to select Standard PC.

A few minutes ago I double checked what I do on my Asus p4b-266 to boot from the win2k cd so I can select Standard PC. All of the following can take place in a just a few seconds, there is not time to blink:

- boot from cd

- watch for the prompt at the bottom of the screen that says press any key to boot from the CD. It only gives you a few seconds to respond.

- after pressing for the above prompt, the very next screen displayed the F6 prompt at the bottom. I immediately pressed F5 instead. This all happened really quickly. Maybe in a second.

lambchop Wed, 06/11/2003 - 10:28

Yeah Fozz, I guess I wasn't too anal after all, especially when machines keep getting faster. My last upgrade I went from a 600Mhz to a 2Ghz and things sure do fly faster. I was able to put the PC into standard PC mode by the steps I previously mentioned and I installed my soundcard last night but still haven't gotten it to "play nice". It's configured okay with no conflicts. I guess I just need to play around with it a little more.

dabmeister music Mon, 07/14/2003 - 13:08

Hey Lambchop, I had some serious problems getting Win 2000 Pro to configure and work properly. The major problems were: 1.Motu MTP A/V, drivers would'nt load, and 2.could'nt record audio within Cubase (my 2 track editing s/w worked fine). This bothered me so much that I stayed away from it for about 2 weeks. All during this time I had a version of XP. So when I loaded & configured the system with XP, everything started to work. And oh yea, I went through the F6 thing with loading the scsi drivers too. I have a 33.6 gig LVD HD & it works flawlessly under XP. Maybe you need to try upgrading to XP, you have nothing to loose. Peace :cool:

lambchop Tue, 07/15/2003 - 06:13

Hello dab!

I guess I should've written a postscript to this thread. I ultimately resolved this problem by reinstalling Win2K in "repair" mode and since I received some good insight from the other member's posts I was prepared to prompt the program to install in standard pc mode. It's been working fine without any hiccups. Cubase runs smoothly. The only matter that I'm still not completely done with is resolving the clicks and pops in Wavelab with my Delta card (these cards are apparently prone to this). I've significantly improved the situation but think I still have a little way to go.

:w:

anonymous Sat, 08/02/2003 - 22:11

Your machine will not power all the way off in Standard PC mode. This is a serious downside, if you have a power monitoring package installed and the processor fan dies.

When Win2000 first came out, I built one as a Standard PC. It worked OK, but the shutdown thing bothered the client. Like all Windows installations, the correct method of reinstalling is FDISK/FORMAT.

Win2000 is a vast improvement over the older OS, but XP has much better ACPI function. Now that SP1 is released (and matured) for WinXP, it has become attractive. I don't care for the eye candy interface, so I use Windows Classic and turn off the doo-dads.

The big deal with XP is stability. It is by far the most stable Microsoft OS I've yet seen, so I'm now putting it on all my client's machines.

XP is a huge resource hog. 256mb memory is entry level, IMO. Bumping 256 up to 512 is a noticeable improvement. IMO, a hotrod DAW should have a gig of DDR if running on XP Pro.