Skip to main content

Hey Everybody,

I just acquired an old telex 253:

Image removed.

..but it doesn't have a jack on the end of the wire. I was just wondering if anyone knows how I could wire this up to an XLR jack to use with my current recording setup. (Reaper on a PC with a ZED Fx 12 Mixer)

Here's a link to the wiring diagram:

PDF

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Topic Tags

Comments

dvdhawk Thu, 01/14/2016 - 21:37

Well, Shield to Pin #1. That's safe to say.
I don't see any indication of + or - on the element, so I'd try White to Pin #2 and Green to Pin #3. Making sure Red and Black don't contact anything.

You might be able to tell from the DAW whether the polarity is right. A short noise-burst (a single clap), should spike the waveform to the positive on the DAW. Switch the White and Green if it doesn't.

That's what I'd try anyway. Someone else may have a better idea and more concrete answer.

dvdhawk Fri, 01/15/2016 - 07:15

The pdf you linked says this mic was designed for paging and has switches for push-to-talk and lift-to-talk. The Red and Black wires can switch an external device, trigger relays, etc. when the mic is on. A paging amplifier will often have a relay for 'ducking', where it cuts the volume of the background music in half so an announcement can be heard over the music. As soon as the switch is released the music will rise back up to its normal volume.

PTT could be useful in a studio control room for talkback.

It's a cool looking mic, it's probably not going to sound great.