Skip to main content

Hi everyone. I have a E-Mu 1212m card installed in my computer. I am fairly new at recording my music. My question is.. the sound card does not have an XLR connection on it and I am a little confused on what kind of cable is needed for a mic connection. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Mike

Topic Tags

Comments

pr0gr4m Mon, 07/17/2006 - 00:58

I am guessing you are just using the 2 analog inputs. Well you should probably use some sort of mixer or mic preamp between the microphone and the 1212, but if you can't at this point, just get an XLR to 1/4" TRS.

TRS stands for Tip Ring Sleeve. The plug looks similar to a standard instrument (guitar) cable except it has 2 black rings instead of just one.

The reason I say you should use a mixer is because a signal from a microphone is very low...a mixer or preamp boosts that signal to something more usable.

anonymous Mon, 07/17/2006 - 07:18

Thanks for the reply! That's what happens when you try to figure something out at 3:oo AM after just 4 hours sleep. I have had the Cakewalk Home Studio installed in my other computer for two years along with the sound card. I decided to try and figure it out again last night after a two year break from it and I guess I must have had my dummy cap on. I do have a mixer. It is a Behringer UB1202FX. I currently have it hooked up to a pair of powered American Audio PA speakers. Instead of going into the mixer with my aucoustic electric last night I went straight into the sound card. I am laughing at myself right now. Talk about doing something BASSAKWARD! Thanks for the reply. I greatly appreciate your help. On a last note.... On my mixer I have the usual main out,s and also have control room out,s. Does it matter what one,s I run to the sound card, and is one more beneficial than the other? Once I get the hook up correct I can start trying to figure out the Cakewalk program. This loop, paste, cut, groove stuff hurts my head:) I give you guys a lot of credit for your ability to work with this stuff. Thanks again and God Bless. Mike in Cleveland

x

User login