Skip to main content

How to record and mix vocals in a home studio?

I’m trying to build a pro recording studio I’m a self independent artist that’s trying to build his own pro recording studio at home to be able to record when ever on my on time so I need help from someone to tell me what gear I need looking for a professional setup?plz help this is my lil setup that I’m using for now any suggestions
Attached files

Comments

Boswell Mon, 02/01/2021 - 03:28
It's difficult to help when you haven't said anything about what you want to record. Is this just vocals being added to pre-recorded backing tracks?

I fear you are not going to get many in the recording profession to help and advise you if you insist on using the word "pro" in the description of your setup. You do not appear from the photos to have any acoustic treatment in your room, so wall, floor, ceiling and table-top reflections will prevent you from getting an accurate sound picture of the mix when using your Resolv monitors. The acoustic screen around the microphone will help reduce direct reflections from the walls when recording vocals, but screens of that type only give you a few dB reduction, and can create early reflections of their own through diffraction around the edges (see this report).

That said, the pieces of equipment you show in the photos are all capable of producing reasonable-quality results in the right environment, and I don't see any obvious "bad apple" in the chain that would let the others down.

Good luck with your efforts!

Yosbany90 Mon, 02/01/2021 - 05:05
Boswell, post: 467188, member: 29034 wrote:
It's difficult to help when you haven't said anything about what you want to record. Is this just vocals being added to pre-recorded backing tracks?

I fear you are not going to get many in the recording profession to help and advise you if you insist on using the word "pro" in the description of your setup. You do not appear from the photos to have any acoustic treatment in your room, so wall, floor, ceiling and table-top reflections will prevent you from getting an accurate sound picture of the mix when using your Resolv monitors. The acoustic screen around the microphone will help reduce direct reflections from the walls when recording vocals, but screens of that type only give you a few dB reduction, and can create early reflections of their own through diffraction around the edges (see this report).

That said, the pieces of equipment you show in the photos are all capable of producing reasonable-quality results in the right environment, and I don't see any obvious "bad apple" in the chain that would let the others down.

Good luck with your efforts!
Hello yes I want my setup to be just for recording I don’t play any instruments or know how to make instrumentals Beats perhaps it’s a better way to pronounced its just to record my own vocals and mixing it on the track

Yosbany90 Mon, 02/01/2021 - 05:14
Boswell, post: 467188, member: 29034 wrote:
It's difficult to help when you haven't said anything about what you want to record. Is this just vocals being added to pre-recorded backing tracks?

I fear you are not going to get many in the recording profession to help and advise you if you insist on using the word "pro" in the description of your setup. You do not appear from the photos to have any acoustic treatment in your room, so wall, floor, ceiling and table-top reflections will prevent you from getting an accurate sound picture of the mix when using your Resolv monitors. The acoustic screen around the microphone will help reduce direct reflections from the walls when recording vocals, but screens of that type only give you a few dB reduction, and can create early reflections of their own through diffraction around the edges (see this report).

That said, the pieces of equipment you show in the photos are all capable of producing reasonable-quality results in the right environment, and I don't see any obvious "bad apple" in the chain that would let the others down.

Good luck with your efforts!
I’m just trying to record vocal and some rap and some singing stuff like that but I want to add more professional gear like pro tools to produce better music better quality music

audiokid Mon, 02/01/2021 - 11:47
My first suggestion for home studios starting out starts here.

Check this out PreSonus StudioLive series. This system will get you results (good enough). If you get a record contract and start making great money... you will know what to get that is better by then. At first glance the console looks like a lot to learn but once you start learning the basics, you will be recording your voice and mixing with music just like you dream.

Yosbany90 Mon, 02/01/2021 - 13:39
Hello I’m a producer and I need help building a recording studio at home I’m very interested in getting pro tools HD for my set up but I’m on a budget 15,000 or less is the most I can spend I want my set up for recording vocals singing and rapping and some what for making beats plz I need help setting up my studio but what type of recording equipment do I need to build a professional home studio plz help! Help! On the button I have pictures of some equipment that I already Buaght but I feel like I’m stock and dont know what els to get plz anyone that can help me that would be great
Attached files

Yosbany90 Mon, 02/01/2021 - 14:11
Kurt Foster, post: 467210, member: 7836 wrote:
the gear you have is fine. just add talent.
Thank you for the response I have the talent and my equipment dos work just fine but I want it to be better then what it is I’m interested in pro tools HD but I just don’t have no clue in witch one that o pick

Yosbany90 Mon, 02/01/2021 - 15:43
Kurt Foster, post: 467218, member: 7836 wrote:
You can load files from almost any DAW into Pro Tools. there's really no reason to think it's any better than any other DAW. what you have is actually pretty good.
Kurt Foster, post: 467218, member: 7836 wrote:
You can load files from almost any DAW into Pro Tools. there's really no reason to think it's any better than any other DAW. what you have is actually pretty good.
Well that’s great news what compressor do you recommend for better vocals quality

Davedog Mon, 02/01/2021 - 16:16
If you are on LUNA you are on the cutting edge of hi-tech. A LUNA system has its own preamps and hardware emulations of nearly every special compressor/reverb/delay/EQ ever made and UAD does most things better. I have quite a few plug-ins in my Octo thunderbolt 3 UAD. I use it with Protools but Protools isn't any better than any of the DAWs out there today. It has features that a music recordist producer is NEVER going to use. PT is written as Audio/visual and the depth of it's program cannot be matched. It's why ALL movie studios use it exclusively and the big record companies require it in riders when hiring studio time for their clients. It's not because it's better however.

But LUNA might be better.

I find that the UAD plugins are as close to the hardware as I have ever heard. I have real hardware sitting here next tp the UAD sims to compare.

audiokid Mon, 02/01/2021 - 16:17
Yosbany90, post: 467222, member: 52468 wrote:
I have a question since I do have the Apollo twin x quad and I can buy the UAD PLUG-IN on there website it’s IT like having the real thing but just in UAD PLUG-IN
When it comes to "tracking vocals" using analog hardware sounds much better to plugins imo. Once ITB however, I personally feel plugin are superior to hardware. To my tests, as I've owned many LA2a and a few Apollo's already, there really is nothing that compares to hardware for tracking. A UA LA2A combined with the 1176 LN is an amazing vocal chain.

Davedog Mon, 02/01/2021 - 16:21
audiokid, post: 467224, member: 1 wrote:
When it comes to "tracking vocals" using analog hardware sounds much better to plugins imo. Once ITB however, I personally feel plugin are superior to hardware. To my tests, as I've owned many LA2a and a few Apollo's already, there really is nothing that compares to hardware for tracking. A UA LA2A combined with the 1176 LN is an amazing vocal chain.
It is my chain also with normally the ViPre as the front end. Although since I got the pair of McCallister pres they have been my goto for acoustic instruments. I like the Burls also.

But the LUNA system you are tracking through the emulations. And they have upped their game with this. The mixer is a real kick to play with. More fun than the Harrison virtual console.

paulears Tue, 02/02/2021 - 09:31
Before you spend ANY money - you have to do some serious research and learn loads. You seem to believe that equipment makes a pro studio, but the reality is if you want to make money, you need to be really skilled and a skilled person can make excellent music with really basic gear, but a studio full of very expensive kit makes terrible noises if you can't drive it. It really is like driving a car. Buying a Rollys Royce won't stop the crash you get into. If you like reading, then Sound on Sound Magazine have been the one mag I have been reading since 1995 or so. I trust it. If you subscribe you get the back issues, and all the studio techniques from reel to reel to the latest DAW have been explained and explained again. Tips and tricks. Your snag is just no experience yet - so I'd really suggest buying some lower end kit and getting good with it - then, you'll know where to point your growth. Everybody has different needs and we don't know yours. So you need to try things out. Before you buy Protools - download some trials of the popular software or try some of the cut down versions. Some will suit you, some won't. Spending money before you know what you want is a bit silly.

pcrecord Tue, 02/02/2021 - 10:16
These days, there's a lot to be done in the box (in your DAW) But there's one thing that can't be replaced yet, it's the capture (tracking).
So if one want's to invest where it counts, it would be, audio acoustics, a good mic and a preamp or channel strip. (in that order).
I do have nice preamps and when ever I track vocal with a customer, having a compressor on the way in saved me more than once. (from overload)
My 2 favorite signal paths are the UA La-610 (include a preamp and a compressor with 2 eq adjustments) or the Focusrite ISA and a comp-3a (La-3a clone)
The ISA gives 80db of noiseless gain and having a optical compressor is nice for vocals because they are content dependant and very forgiving. The LA2A is also a opto compressor but with tubes, the La3A is solid state (transformer based)

Ok, I'll stop there, it seems I'm missing having customers in my studio so much I can stop typing about the subject !!! .. ;)

paulears Tue, 02/02/2021 - 12:57
I really wouldn't have a clue how to record a rap track - or a dance music track. I could mimic one, and I've got loads of the sounds, but no way could I suggest the best and even the most common way to make these kinds of tracks. The basic principals of course I know - but I don't understand the beats thing and I don't do loops or play in samples like the DJ folk do. That's why you need to get really comfy with the basics before you go out and buy the clever stuff. I use Kontakt an awful lot, but the dance instruments and sounds are never ever loaded - I don't even know what some of the instruments that do that stuff, that I have installed, do!

Davedog Tue, 02/02/2021 - 13:19
You guys should familiarize yourselves with the Luna system from UAD. This is what the OP has at his disposal and he's asking what is more without (apparently) learning the rig he has.

Learn your setup you have now young man. It is a very good one and much more advanced than many people just starting out have at their disposal. There are many tutorials from independent producers and lots of online instruction from UAD on the system you already have. You have ALL the virtual instruments you'll ever need to make beats. You have a two Unison preamps which are stellar even with the basic set that comes with the Apollo X. You have at least the basic UAD plug-in package that comes with the LUNA system that allows you to track in REAL TIME all of the plugs you might want. You have a decent tube mic. Decent monitors.

So whats the problem? Why would you want ProTools HDX? Especially if you have zero experience with ProTools?

There's nothing you cannot do with your current system that ProTools HDX is going to be better at. And I run ProTools HDX.

JoshGray Thu, 02/04/2021 - 04:10
paulears, post: 467234, member: 47782 wrote:
I really wouldn't have a clue how to record a rap track - or a dance music track. I could mimic one, and I've got loads of the sounds, but no way could I suggest the best and even the most common way to make these kinds of tracks. The basic principals of course I know - but I don't understand the beats thing and I don't do loops or play in samples like the DJ folk do. That's why you need to get really comfy with the basics before you go out and buy the clever stuff. I use Kontakt an awful lot, but the dance instruments and sounds are never ever loaded - I don't even know what some of the instruments that do that stuff, that I have installed, do!
Fortunately, modern software has an insane amount of plugins to create different sounds, but this is not comparable to real drums or pianos.

paulears Thu, 02/04/2021 - 04:19
Jury is out on drums, but for the last two years, our Yamaha C3 doesn't get recorded - the synthesised version we use from Pianoteq is vastly better - and this relates not to the Yamaha at all, but the space it is in. Plus, and it is a HUGE plus - my concert pianist colleague does make mistakes - tiny, unbearable ones, but he hears them, and recoding on a decent keyboard, into Cubase means they can be fixed, and he can pick the piano he likes - and we are talking about the differences between a US Steinway and a British Steinway - they are different and the big manufacturers give Pianoteq the seal of approval. In fact - going through the back catalogue, the only way we know sometimes is the date - NOT the sound. It took hours to get the room under control, the mics perfect and the piano tuner in sometimes twice in a few days. The best bit for the pianist, is he doesn't get so tired, and then he makes more mistakes, which is a circle. He's very good now at looking at the Cubase screen and identifying really small errors and we can fix them. I don't want to go back to the old way - when we go back to live concerts, they'll be real - but now in the studio, we just don't do it anymore. There is no point.
x

Register