Using a mic on the kick and an overhead, what are some general ways to use software compression?
It is going to be a typical modern rock/pop mix. I know everything is probably close mic'd and/or replaced with samples, but I only have access to this setup.
Mind you, I am not looking for exact knob settings. I want to learn what to listen for, and why certain settings may work. General starting settings are just that, somewhere to start. Here we go:
Use a compressor on the kick track?
What are some rough guidelines to kick compressor settings?
- ratio around 4:1 to 8:1 or more?
- How much gain reduction?
- What about the attack and release? (What is the theory of the sound I should be listening for?)
What about general guidelines for the overhead compression?
- Should I use serial or parallel compression?
- What ratio and gain reduction is alright?
- Again, what should I be looking for in the attack and release?
Thanks for any help!