Lockdown Blues

Submitted by PJH on Fri, 02/26/2021 - 03:20

I recorded this quite recently in my studio. Guitars were played into the Kemper Profiler DI.

The Hammond C3 and Leslie was fed into a power attenuator in order to drop the volume and enable the organ to be cranked for some grind. We miced the Leslie with two Shure SM98 mini condensor mics.

Bass was played through a Sansamp DI.

This is great, Peter! You put out some really nice tracks.

The thing that I'm not sure about in this one is the positioning of the SM98s for capturing the Leslie speaker rotation. It's possible that they are a little too close, resulting in the image lurching around rather than a smooth movement.

That apart, a lovely track.

Paul999, post: 467821, member: 42110 wrote:
What type of guitar is that?

As always Peter, a great sounding pro track! Paul, Peter plays Tokai instruments. Not only do they sound great in his hands but they look lovely.

I have a friend who has a couple of Kempers. He struggles getting a consistent sound from them and I spent some hours futzing around with one of them trying to get those incredible layers you are playing with but never could quite get the hang of the programming. Of course most of that, I'm sure, is due to my complete idiocy when it comes to programming things.

Boswell, post: 467809, member: 29034 wrote:
This is great, Peter! You put out some really nice tracks.

The thing that I'm not sure about in this one is the positioning of the SM98s for capturing the Leslie speaker rotation. It's possible that they are a little too close, resulting in the image lurching around rather than a smooth movement.

That apart, a lovely track.

Thanks for your comments. I hear what you're saying. I can tell you that the mics weren't that close though. I f you get too close the wind from the spinning horn affects the mics. The "lurching" that you describe gets more pronounced as the organ tone gets more dirty when being driven.

Link555, post: 467814, member: 31690 wrote:
Such great musicianship!

Thanks for the comment!

Paul999, post: 467821, member: 42110 wrote:
Listening through my laptop speakers this sounds great. Sweet playing on all fronts. What type of guitar is that?

Thanks for the comments, Paul! The guitar is a Tokai Love Rock. It's basically a hand made replica of a Les Paul from Japan. The quality is insane and the consistency is so good that each guitar feels as good as the next one. I started playing them when the band started touring quite heavily and I had to fly with my guitars. I didn't want to take any chances with my Gibson LP Std anymore. The Tokais are very affordable so to replace it is not such a massive investment.

Davedog, post: 467830, member: 4495 wrote:
As always Peter, a great sounding pro track! Paul, Peter plays Tokai instruments. Not only do they sound great in his hands but they look lovely.

I have a friend who has a couple of Kempers. He struggles getting a consistent sound from them and I spent some hours futzing around with one of them trying to get those incredible layers you are playing with but never could quite get the hang of the programming. Of course most of that, I'm sure, is due to my complete idiocy when it comes to programming things.

Thanks for the comments Dave! The thing with the Kemper is that you don't really program it. It captures a profile of your amp, mic, speaker etc. When I got my Kemper I wanted to profile my live rig. It really wasn't difficult to do. Place a mic in front of the speaker, get the tone that you want and then click "profile". The profiler sends some very strange sounds into the amp and then back into the Kemper. It takes about a minute. Once it's finished profiling it then tells you to plug your guitar into the unit and play for about 30 seconds. This is to refine the profile.

Once completed you have the ability to switch between the captured profile and the real miced up amp. I can tell you that once I'd finished I couldn't distinguish between the amp or the Kemper. It was that close. I've profiled my amp, pedals and speakers. It's extremely convenient, especially if you want to reamp at a later stage.

Cheers.

Davedog, post: 467830, member: 4495 wrote:
As always Peter, a great sounding pro track! Paul, Peter plays Tokai instruments. Not only do they sound great in his hands but they look lovely.

I have a friend who has a couple of Kempers. He struggles getting a consistent sound from them and I spent some hours futzing around with one of them trying to get those incredible layers you are playing with but never could quite get the hang of the programming. Of course most of that, I'm sure, is due to my complete idiocy when it comes to programming things.

I love tokai instruments. I have a Tokai Bass. I can't believe I couldn't see that.

Paul999, post: 467924, member: 42110 wrote:
I love tokai instruments. I have a Tokai Bass. I can't believe I couldn't see that.

They really are quality instruments. I got the Goldtop and ended up getting the Flametop as well.

H Mason, post: 468057, member: 52530 wrote:
And don`t forget the Schaller fine tuner tailpiece.Really nice work

Thanks for the comments! Actually the fine tuner is a Gibson model. They're quite hard to find these days but they work so well. Should be fitted as standard.

Cheers

Peter.

Great warm and thick tone and fat vibratos! I am strat player who tends towards brighter tones, but jams like these always make me pine for that midrangey Gibson warmth. Mix sounds great. Are you guys a proper band?

stevie_m, post: 468162, member: 48189 wrote:
Great warm and thick tone and fat vibratos! I am strat player who tends towards brighter tones, but jams like these always make me pine for that midrangey Gibson warmth. Mix sounds great. Are you guys a proper band?

Thanks for the comments! It's actually a track from my fourth solo album which I'm busy with at the moment. The drummer, Larry Rose has played on my last three solo albums and the keyboard/ bass player, Dave Sharp is a good friend of mine who has played on all of my albums.

Cheers.