Connecting the recording world together...

2 months 1 week

Hello!

Whenever my wife records her voice, it really sets off the 250k range (see attachment) of mudiness. Is there anything we can do to reduce this? I have to go into my Para EQ and reduce it, though it does take away from the tone some.

It doesn't seem to matter the mic or interface either. We started out on a $200 Stellar X2 mic into a focusrite solo and then upgraded to a Baby Bottle SL ($400) into a behringer mixer. Both setups give a similar result. Does this typically mean the person is too close to the mic? We try and record close to get that nice deep sound, but I'm thinking it's also leading to an increase in the mudiness.

Thanks!

Attached files

Comments

2 months 1 week

ouchris Fri, 03/05/2021 - 13:31

Kurt Foster, post: 468082, member: 7836 wrote:
what mic / interface are you using now?

Right now the BBB SL and the behringer interface. But, like I said, we got the same high ~250k range on both setups. I went out and bought the new mic thinking that would help but it didn't.

2 months 1 week

ouchris Fri, 03/05/2021 - 13:39

All the time. Also this is just talking not singing. She does voice overs. I will experiment with her and have her back off the mic but increase the gain to see if that helps. Will try tonight/tomorrow and see what happens.

2 months 1 week

ouchris Fri, 03/05/2021 - 13:58

Kurt Foster, post: 468086, member: 7836 wrote:
i think the problem may be your room acoustics. have you tried recording in a different space?

Hi, yes we have done different room types. The one I attached was in a closet with some sound proofing. The one I'm attaching now was in the bedroom with just some standard stuff in it i.e. blankets, bed, stuff on walls, etc and its just as high if not worse.

Attached files

2 months 1 week

ouchris Fri, 03/05/2021 - 14:22

Kurt Foster, post: 468091, member: 7836 wrote:
so is she right up on the mic? i hear plosives happening.

Typically yes. Should I have her back off and increase the gain?

Profile picture for user Davedog

Davedog Fri, 03/05/2021 - 14:39

The Baby Bottle is a fairly flat mic. And generally behaves itself. There shouldn't be a big proximity bump at that frequency.

You could angle the mic up so it's pointing more towards her hairline and back off just a bit.

Profile picture for user paulears

paulears Fri, 03/05/2021 - 14:40

To my British ear, she sounds quite similar tonally to others I hear, no alarm bells ring so I suspect it's a placement thing - and you just need to experiment with distance and angle to her mouth - try maybe a bit above and aiming down?

Profile picture for user Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Fri, 03/05/2021 - 14:41

ouchris, post: 468093, member: 52535 wrote:
Typically yes. Should I have her back off and increase the gain?

yes. try that first. are you using a pop screen?

2 months 1 week

ouchris Fri, 03/05/2021 - 14:46

Kurt Foster, post: 468097, member: 7836 wrote:
yes. try that first. are you using a pop screen?

Yes we're using a pop screen. I'll try the placement like everyone is suggesting.