An old buddy of mine and amazing drummer, who played with Ben Folds for a while, is coming in to town this weekend to lay down some tracks for me.
He's got a killer set of drums, we've got a very nice room with 14' cathedral ceilings and nice acoustic treatments. I have a plan for micing them, that I'd like some feedback on, please. Don't have tons of high end mics and pres, but here goes:
A modified Recorderman approach with:
- Crown CM-700 mic two sticks' length above snare, going into L channel of Demeter HM1 tube pre
- Crown CM-700 mic two sticks' length over shoulder, going into R channel of Demeter HM1 tube pre
- Neuman U-89 a foot or two out from the front of the kit, going into my neighbor's API 500 series pre
- AKG D112 inside kick, up against beater (probably used to trigger a sampled kick) into MOTU 896HD pre
- Audix i5 under snare, reversed phase into MOTU 896HD pre (may not even use this in mix)
The Neuman is my only LDC, the Crowns my only SDCs, although I might be able to borrow my neighbor's Baby bottle mic.
I have plenty of dynamics (Audix, Shures) and channels of low end preamps (Mackie, Art, MOTU).