1/32 grid and swing quantise

Discussion in 'Drums' started by Nigel, May 31, 2017.

1. Nigel

Nigel Active Member

Hoping someone can enlighten me... I have a nice groove going with programmed from scratch drums in Cubase using XLN Addictive drums... all done on a 1/16 note grid... have set the real time quantise midi insert with a good feeling swing setting... and all is cool.
    However there are some fills I'd like to write in, plus some subtle little hits, that need a 1/32 note grid... so my question is (and I can't find ANY info online)... exactly how does 'swing' work with 1/32 note quantise grid rather than 1/16 note. All the examples, guidelines I can find are with 1/16 note grid.
    At the moment what happens is that if I set the Cubase 'part' grid to 1/32 note, the existing 'swung' quantise just effectively 'ignores' (as in doesn't play at all) the beats that are not on one of the 1/16 note positions?
    The overall groove is just as I like it so am hoping I can keep that but also have some of my little 'fiddly' beats too!

2. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    If you quantise at 1/16 notes they will be all aligned to 1/16 notes like if they couldn't go faster.
    If you want 1/32 notes, you can put them on a different midi track that won't be affected by the quantise insert

Also, you could have planned ahead and make your tempo double time.. For exemple a song at 80bpm would be recorded on a 160bpm project so all the 1/16 notes become 1/8 notes etc... Doing so also help with counting slow songs because the metronome counts the 1/8 notes.
    Assuming all that is in #/4

3. Nigel

Nigel Active Member

Thanks very much, I see what you mean and yes indeed if I'd had a plan that would have been a good one! Of course it was only something that arose in the middle of the process. Still wondering though what (if any) the effect of 'swing' is on 1/32 notes/grid is... perhaps some experimentation is in order...

4. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    I thought I told you. If you record 1/32 notes and you quantise them at 1/16 every notes will be rendered to the nearest 1/16 beat... ;)

5. Nigel

Nigel Active Member

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant if I have the quantise insert set at 1/32 beat and then apply the swing on notes/beats also recorded on 1/32. Would it operate in the same way, i.e. push every other 1/32 note towards the following one. A kind of of 'finer resolution' type of swing?... Perhaps I have answered my own question!?