2 track reel to reel

Discussion in 'Tape Recorders' started by liquidstudios, Sep 9, 2006.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. the $400 recorder i was talking about i found on ebay the Otari Mk55 or possibly the otari mx5050 mkII.

my question still stands though is it basically a rule that the thicker the tape; the more the headroom and lower noise/wwarmth?

also its my understanding and well known that people use the two track ATR recorders for mastering primarily. theres nothing that makes it especially a "mastering" recorder. so if i want to use it primarily through tracking that is fine?

im assuming these are both logical aspects of reel to reel?

and will i be getting a bunch of hiss if i have nice A/D converters and a nice simple signal path consisting of good equipment? if so how do i remove it? besides cleaning and replacing the heads. or should that solve it

2. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

Hiss comes from the circuitry. A result of resistance and poor design and components. If you wan to look into that otari go do a google search. Find out what you can. As regards, removing hiss, there are plenty of ways to remove it. None of them are cheap. There are dolby units. There are plugins. A good plugin will probably cost you near as much as a hardware unit but is less likely to break down. As regards to machines dedicated to mastering, that all depends on what the original user intended it for. There is no dedicated use for a machine. If you choose to use that reel to reel to floss your teeth, then that is its use. As regards whether that will be good enough for your purposes, well if it's good enough for mastering, I suppose it's good enough for tracking.

An engineer is not the sum of his equipment. They (equipment) are just tools and tools belong in and around your DAW not behind them.

3. what are the chances in getting a unit like the one i mentioned or some of the other ones on ebay (giving the condition of the piece of equipment) that will cause hiss.

4. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

What!? You want all the variables? Why don't you just go out and listen to some units. Go to the local music dealer. The chances are if you buy something off of EBay, it will require some major work. Try Craigslist at least then you can see and hear the gear before you buy it.