24 Tracks Control Behringer-Buy or Sell? How can I simplify my workflow.

Discussion in 'Consoles / Control Surfaces' started by phantomvintageclosed, Jun 29, 2018.

?

How can I simplify my workflow.

1. Sell the 24 track controller?

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Buy a rackmount mixer and 1 channel faderport?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pcrecord

pcrecord Quality recording seeker ! Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    @phantomvintagegear : is it the preamp called the brick that I see in the rack ? did you get a chance to compare it to the ISA ?

2. phantomvintageclosed

phantomvintageclosed Guest

I do have th optional card on the ISA but none of those units have a digital toslink input

3. phantomvintageclosed

The ISA excels between it and the brick
    but can get some great sounds when used together

4. pcrecord

Home Page:
    I know digital mixers and multichannel recorders rarely have Adat connexions.. It's like if they just say, here, you wanted it all in one package, no need for future expension...
    It's very different with audio interfaces, my old RME FF800 has 2 ADAT in/outs. So I can record the 8 ch in 96khz ;)

I'm sure you'll find your way and a workflow that suits you.

5. phantomvintageclosed

pcrecord the RME Fireface 800 was in my arsenal for about 9 years

pcrecord likes this.
  6. pcrecord

Home Page:
    Many promote having different preamps to avoid some frequency or texture buildup. That's why I went with 8 ISA and a variety of others. But Someday, I wonder if I wouldn't be more happy with 16 ISA or more.. Like them too much !! ;)

7. phantomvintageclosed

Great units.
    As far as the recorders, will it really affect me if I record at 48K or 96K
    I have been recording with 24/48 for a long time

8. pcrecord

Home Page:
    This is a debate that is going on since 96khz came available...
    On one side, many said they couldn't hear the difference (but those leading this idea mostly had highend converters)
    On the other side, it was said that making the plugins work at 96khz was allowing for better processed sound even when converted back to 44 - 48 (but today most DAW do oversampling anyway)

I did track full bands at 44 - 48 - 88 and 96khz. To me, with the equipement I use, 96khz sounds better. But you need to do this test for yourself...
    Storage is affordable now so it's not an issue if the files are bigger.

9. phantomvintageclosed

10. phantomvintageclosed

What about something as simple as this to record with and simple to bounce to computer to finish example virtual instrument tracks etc, but have the ability to record quickly and eficiently.
    It records at 96kh at 24 bit but its unclear if I can play back that many tracks at that bit rate. Do you see this as a viable option as opposed to the tascam model 24 and the zoom L-12

11. pcrecord

Home Page:
    The playback count depends on the processing the computer can acheive. Remember the more you add plugins, the more work it has..
    A focusrite 2i2 can playback 128tracks if the computer can handle the work the daw needs to do..
    It's a common thing to use a small buffer size to record (and acheive low latency) and switch to bigger buffer settings for mixing.. Some will pass from 256k to 1024k everytime... just saying ;)

12. phantomvintageclosed

I was referring to the stand alone un it not the computer

pcrecord likes this.
  13. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    To me either of the all in one units will sound similar in quality, at that level its about features. I'm still unclear why the x-32 has been ruled out, since it allows your PC to function as a multi track tape macine and vsti host, allowing you to mix and eq on the digital mixer. To me its a higher quality and better integrated unit than the standalones, since your really using them for the mixer anyway, and are intending on using vstis, and the computer either way.

14. phantomvintageclosed

Hey Kmetal I think th issue with me is when Im recording I dont want to use a mouse and keyboard or have a computer screen on. The X32 to me looks fantastic and would still be an option because I would rather mix with that when it comes down to mixing. Its too bad the X32 didn't have the Adat ins so I could come out of my ISA 428 into that, however I could still use the ADC's xlr's to do that. But does the X32 have transport control? I dont think so.

15. pcrecord

Home Page:
    Recorders are like computers, the have limited processing power.. Usually the maker put in enough CPU power for the activities they are made for..
    So I guess I would trust what the maker says, if you buy a standalone recorder that says 24 track recording chances are you'll be able to mix 24 track with a breeze..
    At this point of the 8 pages of discussion, you might as well try to rent a few units and get the feel of them and buy the most confortable for you ;)

16. phantomvintageclosed

Thanks PCrecord. It started with controllers first thinking to stay in the computer that didnt work. Now I have been trying various single controllers just to at least have the transport, eg Faderport 2, Xtouch One and seeing how that works before I dive into a stand alone. And Im unaware of anywhere I could rent a standalone 24 track recorder unless you know something I dont. Thx for your continued input.

17. pcrecord

Home Page:
    In Quebec, we have many music store who have renting departements.. It might not be common everywhere, but it's easy to rent mics, recorders, mixers and other gear hear..
    Sorry if it's not the case for you..

18. phantomvintageclosed

Im familiar with all the rental stores, none of them have any of the older stand alone units for rental and 2 of the ones I looked at just came out so they are not for rental either.

19. pcrecord

Home Page:
    Sad.. Some online stores have try to buy plans.. I wonder if any would have recorders..

20. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    I standardised on Alesis HD24XRs many years ago, and still use them. They operate like a 24-track tape recorder but with the data stored digitally. HD24s and the enhanced HD24XR models were discontinued some time back, but come up regularly on Ebay. For ADAT input and output, the HD24 and HD24XR operate identically.

pcrecord likes this.
  • AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed