24bit 96k vs 24bit 192k converters

Discussion in 'Converters / Interfaces' started by audiokid, Apr 15, 2011.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

1. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Wow, what a cool deal John! I've got to get that. Other Image Views

$269.00

9901775cv1a.jpg

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Yup. That's the one. I have the laptop on top of course and the four spaces are Furman conditioner (soon to be replaced by Furman UPS), True Systems Precision 8, Glyph GT050Q & GT051 combo, FF800. The True P8 has dual balanced output (8 TRS and D25). The TRS gozoutas are cabled into the FF800 and the DB25 goes to the Alesis HD24XR when I don't use ADAT to the Alesis. AND IT ROLLS!!!! :)

3. Big K

Big K Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Most word clocks from dedicated clocking units and those generated by decent cards, I/Os and converters ( if they posess this feature) are quite stabile and usable these days.
    External dediacted WD generators ( like Nanoclocks ) are being used if a number of devices need to be clocked together for synch and/or the units are farther apart or other rooms/directions.
    Wordclock signal travels with SoL and from that it can be done daisy chain style without introducing any additional lateny to any I/O devices.
    Due to problems with the correct 75 Ohm termination settings, as well as the usual suspects ( Power supply and ground plane noise, interlogic interference,
    cable interference, increased noise and clock skew hrough signal loops) a starshaped cabeling is adviceable. A dedicated WD units is not better than the WC comming
    from a decent card like RME's, BUT a WC generator is much more flexible, has much more outs, can be used as Generator and as a Distributor ( set your clock on DAW or
    PC and the distributor switches all devices to the same synchronized clock value). The signal voltage from a WC units is more stabile when a number of units is connected, thus the
    signal will not go below a critical level. Any additional device, maybe hooked up just temporarily, can be synched more easily... many more.

4. studiosound

studiosound Guest

I would recommend 96kHz rather than 192kHz. It’s hard enough for clocks to keep stable at 96kHz. Even the best designs can have difficulty. Additionally, cabling and interfacing can add another potential for error to an already struggling system. IMO the theoretical sonic improvement of 192kHz causes more concern than the benefits of a more stable 96kHz system.

5. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Solid advice, thank you all! I'm at 88.2 most of the time and I see no point changing. I bet we'll see 384 in not too long.

6. TrilliumSound

TrilliumSound Active Member

Home Page:
    Here you go: Merging Technologies

7. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Very interesting company, thanks Richard. Are you using any of their software or hardware?

8. TrilliumSound

Home Page:
    No, I don't. I heard about them (company) but that's about it.

9. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    They seem to have a lot covered, what looks to be the design of pretty high end converters to broadcasting and video, mastering, to mass track count software for serious recording and mixing. The mixer strips looks really nice.
    I spent an hour looking around there yesterday and would love to hear more about them.

The 4 point editing looks cool and working with video was very impressive. I'm not a mastering engineer so I quickly moved on to the recording software.

My first impression on configuring a session was a bit busy for my attention but I'm guessing like all new things, confusion soon takes on simplicity the more you become familiar. The video on recording focused on importing tracks to much where I would have liked to have see how it handled a 24 track session at first glance. I'm definitely going to pay attention to this company.

Routing looks to be amazing and definitely right on for hybrid studio's.

384, wow, can't imagine!

Do you use Sequoia?

10. TrilliumSound

Home Page:
    I am using Samplitude for at least the last 8 years. I only do Mastering so I don't need much. Simpler the better for me. I would hate to start over with other programs unless this would make it sounds better.

Richard

11. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Sonically, I can't imagine better than Samplitude/Sequoia. I'm excited for version 12 slated for this summer.

• AT5047

The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed