32 bit integer for interface, useful?

Discussion in 'Converters / Interfaces' started by kmetal, Jul 23, 2019.

1. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    Always keep in mind, a well designed 16 bit sounds better than a cheapo 24 bit design. Lots to do with the analog counterparts.

I heard this the first time with Lavry converters. Be sure the converter works well with your DAW.

Example. Lavry sounds awesome but lacks how it interfaces with a DAW at times.

kmetal likes this.
  2. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Can you expand on that? The usb connectivity of the antelope, rme, and mytek mastering interfaces has me concerned. So does driver support and performance of antelope, and mytek to a much lesser degree. UA apollo makes some sense if i decide to go a certain side path on my computers with new ryzen supporting TB.

Im really trying to find a reason not to get the bare bones lynx pcie card. Its got 6db less dynamic range than UA apollo, and RME, and 8db (adc) and 18db (dac) less DR than antelope.

I may use the lynx for daily driving and just get the higest spec unit whenever im ready to start the archive. I feel like there is some high spec stuff coming down the line, and i really want no BS for daily driving since ive never built a computer, let alone a 4 pc master/slaves array.

Maybe modest is the way to start as far as interfacing goes.

32bit seems to be unessesary at this point in time.

3. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    I definitely wouldn’t go with any older lynx stuff but that’s just me. They use Yamaha pinout which is a pita. I’ve heard their 8 channel and up run too hot which will suffer accuracies from channel to channel as they heat up.

Regarding interfaces... if you are only running a few ad channels at a time I suspect most converters will run ok or well with a daw but as you require tighter integration with latency and punch in etc.. USB lacks. MADI is by far better than USB or FW so I would personally look for a converter that has a MADI option. If not that then FW if not that then USB.
    All being said... antelope Orion 32 does work ok with USB but It’s way better when you use MADI.
    It’s such a big topic but I would always make sure both the interface and the converter are quality.

I think the new Apollo stuff would be awesome but you need TB.

Looking for used... there are great deals on older antelope stuff that might be good enough.

Hope I’ve helped.

kmetal likes this.
  4. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    Thanks man. Its been a while since i looked into madi, im going to have to revisit it. The usb converters have digital i/o so maybe it could make sense to get a digital pcie card to bypass the usb.

5. audiokid

audiokid Chris Staff

Home Page:
    In all my personal tests.... no matter what interface I’ve used, when ever possible use a dedicated pcie port for the interface card.
    To date, RME cards have been the best.

MADI is awesome but so are the others when used within their comfort level.

kmetal likes this.