4-8 Channel quality mic pre's?

Discussion in 'Preamps / Channel Strips' started by innerbooty, Feb 14, 2003.

1. FloodStage

FloodStage Active Member

What about this one?

http://

2. e-cue

e-cue Active Member

I love my 4 channel Syteks. You can find them for about $800, but they are well worth twice that IMO. I hold them in the same regard as the API's and Neve's, although some may call this blasphemy.

3. Doug Milton

Doug Milton Active Member

I recorded a project last year using the 8 channel True System mic pre through an Apogee 8000 A/D to hard disc for everything but bass and lead vox which went through an Avalon. I was very please with the transparency of the True and would highly recommend it.

4. rwhitney

rwhitney Guest

I can recommend the True Systems Precision 8 as well. I've been using it for about four years. It has tremendous frequency response, very clean, ms encoding on channels 1&2, enough gain for ribbon mics, instrument DIs (on back), heavy-duty construction, only occupies 1 rack space, and costs something like $2500 for 8 channels.

5. 20db.com

20db.com Guest

Katiedawg is right about the new A-Rack+, this is another great design by Tim and the guys at Buzz. It has already received a lot of attention from guys who are doing remotes. The ablity to get 8 super clean and transparent mic pres along with a monitor bus is perfect for them.

The exciting part is there has been some interest by other designers to make their preamps available that would slide right in along side the Buzz mic pres. This would be cool.

If the ARack is out of your range and you want 4 channels you might consider either the Great River MP-4 (not the NV) or the Earthworks 1024. both of these are 4 channel, clean transparent mic pres.

Of course a pair of MA-2.2s would also look great in your rack. :D

Lee

6. anonymous

anonymous Guests

You might want to check out a 4 channel John Hardy at some point... it could change your life.

7. Check out JLM audio, They have an 8 ch pre that is supposed to be an api 312 clone I think for like $1500. Can't beat it with a stick. I've been thinking of checking it out myself. also I Tim at Seventh Circle has the Neve 1272 Clone modules in Kits and fully put together for a good price, I think the kit is only $350 a channel. I started with API 3124+ in my home studio and love em!! You could always buy a rack and 312 modules from API and add modules as you have money. I think the Modules are like $400-$500 a piece.

Cheers

8. FloodStage

FloodStage Active Member

According to JLM's website the 8 channel pre is abut $2700 U.S.

9. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Well-Known Member

The Sebatron vmp-4000 is a nice 4 channel pre. I have used the api 3124 and I too, like it but the Sebatron knocked my socks off!
    http://www.sebatron.com

10. rhythm-ranch

rhythm-ranch Guest

Actually, JLM's site says their 8 channel preamp is $2750 Austalian, or approx. $1500 US.
    Mark

11. Kurt Foster

Here is a link for JLM
    http://www.jlmaudio.com

12. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

what about TL Audio 5001 and Tl audio 5050?
    Thanks

13. Kurt Foster

TL Audio uses hybrid circuits, non discreet (IC based) solid state doing most of the work and a tube to add color. I have heard that the TL gear doesn't have the headroom of the better designs from Focusrite, Neve, API etc.

I have to correct myself. After going to the TL Audio site (actually HHB) I discovered there are a couple of all tube products that have just been released. Here is a link; http:// ........... Kurt

14. FloodStage

FloodStage Active Member

On the JLM price, we were both right.

The MP-8A (Class A - Neve 1073 style) is $2750 US

The TMP-8 Transformer input micc pre ( Focusrite Red/API style ) preamp is $1500 US.

BTW, I really hate the JLM web site. Slower than a VW beetle w/ no gas and 4 flat tires.

15. funkfolk

funkfolk Guest

I think Joe (JLM) spends all his time on his gear so don't hold his website against him. :D .. it sounds great..

I live and work in the same city as JLM and his gear is highly respected and sought after here. Well worth checking out.

16. Kurt Foster

We will be conducting a review of the JLM TMP8 pre amp package in the near future. Joe contacted me the other day and made some arrangements to ship me one as soon as the new packaging is completed. These pre amps are said to be Pro Tools controllable! I am very excited! Here is a link once more to TLM http://www.jlmaudio.com Watch for the review! Kurt