A beginner's question about computer audio.

Discussion in 'Computing' started by transformed, Aug 31, 2004.

  1. transformed

    transformed Guest

    I have a stand-alone recorder that can make so-called "hi-rez" files (8ch of 24b/96kHz) and it has an onboard mixer that can generate a stereo 24/96 mix. But I obviously can't send that mix to my DAT deck or audio CD recorder. If I want to save a copy of the hi-rez stereo mix before dumbing it down to 16b/44kHz, can I somehow send the stereo mix to my computer that just has the junk standard soundcard? My thought was that I only need a high quality soundcard if I want to bring in analog audio, but that I could take hi-res digital info in as "data files", not as audio. (yes/no?) And then burn "data" CDs for my hi-res backup. But how would I do this?

    The multitrack recorder provides an AES format output feed of the stereo mix; how can I capture this info as a data file onto my computer?

    Much thanks

  2. David French

    David French Well-Known Member

    Jun 19, 2002
    Can you tell us which recorder you have? It seems right now that you are going to buy a soundcard with AES/EBU inputs, but perhaps there is another solution, depending on what recorder you have.

    Also, what soundcard do you have?
  • AT5047

    The New AT5047 Premier Studio Microphone Purity Transformed

Share This Page