A General Statement on the importance of great monitors

Discussion in 'Monitoring' started by sdevino, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Barefoot Sound

Barefoot Sound Active Member

Home Page:
    Yeah, but that's kind of like saying the list of Lexus owners would be much bigger than the list of Rolls Royce owners!

Thomas

2. stalefish

stalefish Active Member

Home Page:
    so in your opinion, are Quested Q108s Rolls Royces and Genelecs Lexus? :)

anyone own a pair?

3. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Guest

To keep things into perspective,

I mentioned the monitors i chose and why, I dind't mention that they where better or worse then other brands,,,

I figure by the user list, they've tried most brands and if these people have ATC, must be a just reason for it,,

just enough for me too,,,

happy decision making on your personal taste preferrences :)

SI

4. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

It would very likely be a much, much bigger list. As for ATC, there is no way to know if the alleged list of ATC is even current or if those ATC users are using them as their mains or near field monitor. Big difference.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guests

I'm not really sure how different ATC's big mains sound relative to their nearfields. They build mains that are accurate and clean, not just raw power (like Uries). The nearfields use a similar philosophy, but have less power and less low end.

Also, they have midfields...I'm using a pair of ATC SCM50a's, and to me, there is no going back to any other brand. Transients are quick and crisp, the imaging is great, bass is tight, and they are really wide dispersion, so you still get great coherence even way off axis (which is good when your FX rack is located off to the side way out of the 'sweet spot').

As far as their client list goes...who gives a sh~t! You don't buy monitors because Sting and the Pope use the same brand....you buy them because they sound 'right' to you. 'nuff said, go out and listen!

Cheers,

Kris

6. Sanity Inn

Sanity Inn Guest

hmm thnx for the input,,,

I didn't buy " because" of the client list, I bought because those people on the client list have been using monitors a heck of a lot longer then me, they went thru tests and trials, and if they have these now, must be for a reason " like when you said you won't look back"

besides, this is my 1st pair of studio monitors, i just bypassed some upgrading is all...

also as for the " sound right to you line" i can agree with that somewhat , but if you put a proffessional pair of speakers infront of someones whos refference point is PC speakers or standard home stereo stuff ,, the NEW proper sound may not sound " right" to the novice,,

proper sound and hearing need to be retrained when using a new calliber of sound sytem

just my 2 pennies, ( 1.3 cents canadian lol )

Sanity

7. stalefish

stalefish Active Member

Home Page:
    exactly!

...so do the quested Q108s or VS2108s sound right to you guys? :D doesn't anyone here own a pair?!

8. sdevino

sdevino Active Member

Stalefish the one thing no one here will be able to tell you is whether or not the Questeds "sound right" to you.

I personaly would not buy any monitors I did not get to demo in my studio for at least a few days.

9. hbj

hbj Guest

I agree with Steve completely on the few days.

I -finally- got a chance to demo the Earthworks Sigmas, and though ultimately I'm happy I made the choice I made, the Sigmas sound tremendous in a particular kind of way.

But the key is, I wouldn't have known they didn't quite do the trick for me unless I'd had them a few days to really live with. An hour or so and I might have bought them. So days is good if you can get to do it.

It's worth "paying for them to audition and returning if you don't like them". Most reputable audio dealers will be happy with that arrangement.

10. rufuss

rufuss Active Member

I wouldn't believe the hype, just get an opinion...

a famous user's list is quite useless in a mixing situation anyway, as for judging monitors i only rely on the accuracy,comfort and good translation to the real world...
    i used to work on NS10s, never got used to them(when on a lot of people wouldn't mix on anything else), bought genelec 1030s, i feel great with them but would still need a pair of auratones for a second perspective...
    the accoustic of the room has a dramatic effect on how we judge the monitors, i just don't like the way some genelecs sound in some other rooms...
    It really all depends, and as long as it works for you... ;)

rufuss
    producer/mixer

11. sosayu2

sosayu2 Member

the subject of nearfields is a personal one. i myself use tannoy lgm's i know a lot of mix engineers who still use ns 10's and put out great mixes. it's all on what you hear and what you're used to. i tried the genelecs and they were a little harsh for my taste but i am never opposed to trying new things and seeing what's out there.

12. moles

moles Active Member

I must be one of the few oddballs that actually LIKES the way NS10's sound. It's interesting to me that I seem to hear comments from both sides of the fence - that they are both flat and too midrangey. My experience with them came before I even knew about their fame, I just plain liked the sound.
    The other two rooms I've mixed in had a pair of Genelecs (didn't like the low end) and Yamaha MSP5 (I think, they were smallish, though not the smallest in that line). I thought the Yamaha's were crushingly trebley, but there may have been some issues with the way they were set up.

So having said that, I am now using the Yorkville YSM1P powered nearfields. I am curious about others opinions about these. I find them pretty nice to work on, for as little as I can say about the subject. If I start getting some work, they may not be suitable though - any thoughts?

13. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

Well, first I would like to say, Welcome to R.O.! Second, I think you'll find that your not the only "oddball" around here even if it fits the desription of liking both the NS10 and Yorkvillle as a choice in monitors. At least you didn't say Behringer!

14. ryanhewitt

ryanhewitt Guest

There's a Quested H-108 on Quested's web site, and they're selling for under $1000 at http://. Dave Collins, a fantastic mastering engineer, uses them at his place, and a few engineer-buddies use them too...

I listened to them about a year ago and decided that they were a little bright for my tastes; not Genelec bright, but just a little too much on the top... I went with ProAc Studio 100's in the end, and bought a second pair cuz I love 'em so much! They're powered by Hafler 9505's....

And to add to the discussion about the monitors and amps, what about speaker cables??? Call me a gear junkie, but I've been trying a couple of different cables, and when you get into the serious stuff (bought used and cheap at audiogon.com) there's an enormous difference!

Cheers,

RH

15. digdug

digdug Guest

Speaker cables are just as important as the monitor its going to, yeap.

16. djui5

djui5 Guest

If I may jump in and comment on the questeds, I've used the VH2108's before and found them to be quite horrible sounding. There wasen't anything I liked about them...

17. Babyhead

Babyhead Guest

I will have to say that I love my Genies. I have 1031As in my apartment and had to learn how to mix through a room. As for the highend being harsh, it is if there is too much direct refelection. I had the problem of mixing too litlle high end because of this, but the -2db switch and a curtain fixed that.

With these monitors, the truth is there. I will play my mixes on any other system and I might hear somteing that I missed. But when I go back to my room, I hear what I missed. Some systems pronounce things more than others. The Genies pronounce evenly. Others may also, but these do.

BTW, mentioning Bryson...I had a 3b powering some NS-10s...it was great, but now that amp is my bass amp...with a Ravenlabs USIP. watch out. :mad:

-BH

18. JensenBohren

JensenBohren Guest

The last time I was around here, there was some buzz about the Yamaha MSP5s being a good successor to the NS-10s. Has that claim been refuted by new evidence?

I havn't had the cash to start purchasing the pieces for my home studio, as I'm not a musician... I'd like to be an Engineer. After ramming my head against the lack of employment in the area I've been forced into I stopped even lurking... but I've still got an interest.
    'd be a shame to not put the degree to use.

19. Jarek R

Jarek R Guest

Hello,
    I found on http://webbd.nls.net:8080/~mastering forum interesting review. I also try Lipinski but small L505 model. It's really excited. Nothing compare to this. Open sound,fast transient,no distortion.You can hear real sound without coloration. Excelent for any music. I totally agree with Bob Katz! It's worth any money! I plan to buy 5 for surround.
    Sincerely
    Jarek Regulski
    http://www.studiobuffo.com.pl

Conf: GEAR-WHAT'S HOT!/WHAT'S NOT!
    Date: Sunday, February 29, 2004 02:05 AM

I've just converted from my A-Class Reference
    3A's to A+ class Lipinski L-707's.

I highly recommend you look into these
    loudspeakers for any mastering or high-fidelity
    listening applications.

Warning: The same as with any top-notch
    loudspeakers---if your ancillary equipment is not
    first rate, these speakers will reveal any defect in
    your system, room acoustics or program material.
    Make sure they are solidly mounted on sand or
    lead-shot-filled stands. Make sure the stands do
    not rock one iota. Then, patiently and carefully
    place the speakers in their optimum position for a
    wide, even soundstage, and make sure your ears
    are at tweeter height (very important for the tonal
    balance and phase coherency). You will then be
    rewarded with the best sound you have ever
    heard.

20. Death addeR

Death addeR Guest

I just purchased a couple of Genelec 1029A's... I know they aren't exactly pro level, but they're close, and I must say, I am very impressed by them... it's true, there was a LOT I wasn't hearing before...